need some help and input on reclearing carbon fiber

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
hey guys i plan on reclearing some exterior carbon fiber parts (hood, splitters)..i did a search and the closes thing for help i found was the DIY for carbon fiber overlay but thats not exactly what im doing im just adding a new clearcoat.

I was wondering and had a few questions lurking in the air. Like what is the best grit to sand off the old clear and without going too far onto the cf fabric?

and before i spray the clear should i readd any expoxy and hardner with the uv protection?? also did i need to retint anything too?? also will the dust got stuck in the fabric after sanding it?? or does it even need to get sanded that far to the point of getting close to the actual fabric??

and whats the best clear with UV protection that the companies like vis or seibon use??

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
if you want to sand it then use 800g...if your CF is turning the famous green color than you could slightly tint it,but the new clear should make it pop again like day1.
and no,the clear is what protects the panel.you dont have to sand through to the fabric to re-clear,just scuffing it up.

the 3m gray scotch pad could work also if you want to do it by hand.

i used SMART when i did my CF roof,and its good..but PPG makes good and expensive,just depends on your pocket.
my gallon of smart clear with medium activator cost only 66$

are you doing it at the house? or a shop..

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
im doing it in a shop at my school i dont think my teacher have enough experience with carbon fiber... no my cf is not turning green just deep scratches and chipping in the clear...i never heard of the 3m scotch pad, is it suppose act like sand paper?? so will there been any need to add expoxy to it??

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
no expoxy unless you have a broken corner you want to try to rebuild up.
oh well start with 800g see how good/fast it does..if you want it faster than 600G but just be really careful.
Probably wont be able to get everything out but itl help.

mista jc

Reaction score
If all that work is worth saving 50-100 bucks then go for it. I took mine to a bodyshop and it was 150 out the door and it looks great. But you're in Boston.. I think shops are limited with CF experience. Good luck man, post pics when it's done.

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
yea i think ur right about shops being limited out here with cf experience.. most autobody shops dont do aftermarket stuff out here...

so with the 800 grit should i wet or dry sand?? the reason im asking all this is for my wifeys celica, im buying a used cf hood that needs reclearing, and im painting her car purple (thats the color she chosed) with a vizage lip.. i also gotta fix my cf splitters on my car too which imma start sanding first since its small and to help myself get some experience

travisn

Reaction score
just treat it like you would a regular panel. just dont get to crazy and burn through the clear, youll probably be able to see where you sanded the cf after you clear it

like they said, sand it with 800 or a gray scuff pad to dull it down (give the new clear something to stick to) be careful when getting the deep scratches out, you have to sand them out, you can not fill them in with anything but clear and clear doesnt hide scratches you can feel with your finger nail.

you can paint it as well at that point.

and you can wet or dry sand, wet is easier because the paper wont clog. it depends where you are working, if there is a floor drain then sand wet, other wise do it dry and blow off the hood and paper a lot. and youll prob use 2-3 whole sheets sanding it dry.

depending on your budget/access to material 3m makes a hook it with really high grit #'s that works really well.

and if you dont know what a scotch/scuff pad is then dont mess with it and pay someone to do it. lolz

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
well will see how it turns out when i get my car back... i usually have good beginners luck all them time, hopefully i didnt jynx my self for saying that

5spd'r

Reaction score
Honda Tuning covered this a while back, they recomended BASF clear with a smoke/tint. They also mentioned generous sanding. What you have is probably not clear-coated, just a gel-coat, like they weren't sure if the hood would be painted or cleared by the owner. My cf hood looks good for about 2 months and then I hit it with 1500 grit and some rubbing compound...clear would be so nice!

Back