Need some opinions..

Which way should I go?

• Total voters

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently deployed right now and won't be seeing my car for at least the next year, but I am trying to get some ideas on which path I should take with my car when I get back. I have been researching the turbo, N/A, and engine swap routes and I am still undecided on which would be the best. I guess I should say that I have an ATX tranny just to make sure we are on the same page. I really want to switch to a manual, but depending on how much that cost it might not be worth it.

Option 1:
Small turbo pushing 8 psi on stock block and keep the auto. I'd throw a tranny cooler on and get some tuning to go with the auto too. I would like to push at least 200rwhp and keep it there so I don't kill the engine or tranny. I guess if the tranny goes I could always swap it.

Option 2:
All motor with stock block, but also go the tranny swap. I was thinking of spending maybe $1,500 on engine parts (cam, h23 intake manifold, headers, exhaust, tuning) and then the tranny swap might run me another ? ($1,000) installed.

Option 3:
Swap a Euro R H22 engine and transmission in at the same time, thereby not having to blow money on swapping just the tranny in.

What will be the most reliable setup? Currently the car has 65k miles on the engine and tranny and is in excellent shape mechanically.

Last edited by a moderator:

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
I like that option for its uniqueness and knowing that it will all work without alot of tuning, but it's also the most expensive. :p

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
Ya, it's a '99 too. :p It will be sitting for the next year while i'm deployed, but i've done everything to prep it for storage. I was thinking about getting a project car, but then i'd need three parking spaces, another car payment and more insurance.

I dunno, i'm still trying to get ideas. :p

sw2oboi

Reaction score
save your money for a better car LOL but if anything the h23 swap

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
I realllllly want an SRT-4, and by the time I get back they will probably be even cheaper than they are now, BUT, I don't know what my wife would think with us having three cars AND a bike. :p

changaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Option 1:
Small turbo pushing 8 psi on stock block and keep the auto. I'd throw a tranny cooler on and get some tuning to go with the auto too. I would like to push at least 200rwhp and keep it there so I don't kill the engine or tranny. I guess if the tranny goes I could always swap it.

this would be impossible, seeing how the cars are FWD :)

SilverAggie

Reaction score
lol rwhp on our cars... anyway seeing as its an automatic it would be stupid to put a turbo on it and blow your tranny eventually. All motor/engine swap Euro style with a Turbo. You'll def have that much cake when you get back from Sadamville. May god keep you in his arms for a safe return soldier.

Back