Need to pump old Gas out of boat

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Sorry this topic isn't accord related, but I needed some advice. This weekend, I am going to help my dad put new tires on a boat trailer from which he just purchased including the boat. The orginal owner said he has not used the boat in 1 1/2 to 2 years. But he did let us know he used Sta-bil after his last use. My dad thinks we need to to pump the old gas out, which i think is a good idea. Would gas degrade and be considered old even if he did use sta-bil? I got a used inline fuel pump off a friend and wired it up to a 12 volt battery and attached two ends of rubber fuel lines. I tested it, the pump would run but didn't pump any gas. I waited a couple minutes to make sure it would clear the air in the lines, but to no avail. Does the tank have to be pressurized(sealed) for the pump to work? By the way, the ouboard motor is a Suzuki 140hp bought new in 04 with only 25 hrs use.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
sta-bil isn't going to keep gas fresh for 1-2 years...

The pump probably needs to be primed... it's just pumping air right now. The easiest way would be to suck on the hose :naughty: and get it out of your mouth before the gas comes :naughty: :naughty:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Why don't u just siphon the gas out. Use clear tubing so u can see when the gas is close to ur mouth. Then put ut in a gas can below the tank, it should all come out.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
sta-bil isn't going to keep gas fresh for 1-2 years...

The pump probably needs to be primed... it's just pumping air right now. The easiest way would be to suck on the hose :naughty: and get it out of your mouth before the gas comes :naughty: :naughty:

Why don't u just siphon the gas out. Use clear tubing so u can see when the gas is close to ur mouth. Then put ut in a gas can below the tank, it should all come out.

So either way I have to breathe in toxic gasoline fumes? I wish i would have gone with that idea considering i paid almost $80 in 10 ft lengths of power and ground wiring, two aligater clips for the battery, an inline fuse holder, toggle switch and 2 hrs time wiring it all together. Does anyone know what is the biggest gauge wire you can solder with a conventional solder iron? I was using 12 gauge and the wire just doesn't get hot enough to melt the rosin solder.

finch13

Reaction score
I've soldered 10 gauge with a small 30W iron... it can be done.

$80 on wiring? Is it mde of gold or what?

You'll survive the fumes... I'm still alive and I breathe all that crap daily.

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
I've soldered 10 gauge with a small 30W iron... it can be done.

$80 on wiring? Is it mde of gold or what?

You'll survive the fumes... I'm still alive and I breathe all that crap daily.

Sorry, I am getting ahead of myself. Actually the wiring was about $35 and the fuel line was $45, cause I went overboard with 10 foot lengths on both ends. Well gotta suck gas sometime before you die. Lord knows enough comes out the other end....:lawl:

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I didn't say to inhale the gas, u suck on the tubing like a soda and straw. Just breath out ur nose and wait until u see the gas close to ur mouth. Then just dump it into a container. Your really making it harder than it really is, I siphoned 10 gallons of gas without inhaling anything.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Shouldn't be hard to siphon the gas out, pay attention to what you're doing and be careful.

Chalk it up to experience to say you have siphoned gas once in your life.

finch13

Reaction score
I've gotten mouthfuls of gas, oil, coolant, brake clean before... you won't die... yet. :lawl:

All in a days work!

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Well i went with the inline fuel pump route and it worked perfectly. The first one i had was not working so I picked up a Facet inline fuel pump from Napa designed to work with carbureted motors and it worked great. Honestly I really don't think we need to because the gas was a very, very clean amber color and it smelled like fresh gas and it was a whole 2 years old but we wanted to be on the safe side. So the Sta-Bil did it's job more than expected. The tank holds 60 gallons and we ended up pumping out 35 gal using multiple 5 gal gas cans. This way did take about 45 min but wasn't a big deal to us. I was also able to turn it off every time we switched to an empty gas can. I was able to gain access to the tank itself from above and loosened the filler neck and dropped the 5/16 fuel down which was a lil tricky being that the metal tank neck is a 90 degree angle. Large pockets of air filled the tube as the fuel level got down to bottom of the tank, commencing shut down. The hardest part was getting the filler neck tube back on. It's almost as if it shrunk when we took it off.

Here is some info on gas shelf life....oh and I've seen the red degraded gas and the smell is awful.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/altenergy/gaslifepal.htm

Last edited:
Back