Need to rebuild motor what's my best bet?

6GHonda

Reaction score
Hi, I'm somewhat new to this site. The timing belt snapped on my f23a1 and bent the valves and rods out of shape. Motor was burning lots of oil before it happened too. To make a long story short, I'm going to replace the motor. I found an f23 with about 40k miles for $750. Is it worth spending an extra $300 for the h23a from www.japanmotorimports.com? Is there something better out there for around $1000 i can buy? Or should I just stay with an f23? I have searched but there are not many write ups on the h23a. Also just looking for peoples opinions. I am going to have a mech. install so not looking for a complicated swap. Any and all advice is welcome. Planning on buying the f23 this weekend so quick response would be great.

*UPDATE*
I decided to pull the motor myself and have a machine shop rebuild the f23. Any suggestions on parts to buy. Plan on boosting after winter. Not much but would like 250-300 HP after Turbo.

Going to pull motor in the next week or so. Its my DD so I need to get it running soon so I stop driving my gas guzzling 76 Chevy pickup.

Thanks again.

kevo

Reaction score
Re: Looking to swap f23a1 for h23a.

Pm Elite1Jdm he has done the h23 swap he can tell you more info on it but other then that most ppl do the h22 swap but yeah do lots of research before jumping into an engine swap both can be done so just take the time to read up on them

Good luck

Steadycrusin401

Reaction score

h23 is a better bang for the buck imo because it's cheaper then a h22 swap. I was going to do a G23 but the cost of parts would total up to about the same as a h23 swap.

6GHonda

Reaction score
Re:

After more research it sounds like all I need to do an h23a swap would be the driver side mount, rewire the cps, and get an ecu from a 97+ prelude and delete the Immobilizer. This true?

Should all lines bolt right up (vacuum, fuel, engine harness, etc.)

Snoobly

Reaction score
Re:

After more research it sounds like all I need to do an h23a swap would be the driver side mount, rewire the cps, and get an ecu from a 97+ prelude and delete the Immobilizer. This true?

Should all lines bolt right up (vacuum, fuel, engine harness, etc.)

That's probably all you'd need to do, But it never works that way and always seems to end up far more complex(Expensive) than anticipated.

6GHonda

Reaction score

After doing more research it seems like everyone has had a lot of success achieving higher power goals with the f23. I decided I am going to pull the motor myself and maybe send it out for a little machining to up the compression a little and install better internals. Maybe even turbo in the near future. Thanks for everybody's help. I will be tuning in from now on, not just sitting on the sidelines.

Chorilored

Reaction score

how many miles did that belt survive through?

6GHonda

Reaction score

Not sure. I have put 80k miles on the car since I have owned it. It sits at 230k mi.

98 CG5

v6indodarknight

Reaction score

there is a local guy in my area who is doing the h23 swap!!! its running now, but he is still having problem...

he said that it wasn't fun to do... a lot of part doesn't bolt up correctly,

idk if he is in the forum, I'll look into it kk

Back