New Coilovers orderd

bwizard

Reaction score
Taking out the passenger axle will mean you better drain all the tranny fluid out first if you don't want it to leak all over you when you pull the axle. Another thing which is all up to you but since you're doing all of this...consider replacing the axle seal on the tranny as well(~$10 part). Pull the old seal off carefully not scratching the tranny and tap the new seal in place with a socket thats about the same size as the seal. Tap the seal in place gently until its body is flush with the transmission casing...not until the outer portruding lip is flush.

If your car has abs make sure the new axle you bought has an abs toner ring, that both axles have the same amount of splines in the inner/outer sides and that they're both the same length when placed next to each other.

The axle nut should be a 32mm socket. Be careful with the rubber brake line when moving the knuckle around so you do not tear it or put excessive strain on it.

Good advice....I did buy the seal at the recomendation of AutoZone. Also was sure to get the ABS axle.

My service manger at work lent me his seal driver kit, so Im good there too.

I have heard to only use the Honda tranny fluid....anyone have thoughts on that?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Good advice....I did buy the seal at the recomendation of AutoZone. Also was sure to get the ABS axle.

My service manger at work lent me his seal driver kit, so Im good there too.

I have heard to only use the Honda tranny fluid....anyone have thoughts on that?

Return the AutoZone seal and get an OEM honda one, they go for ~$10. Past results have shown other than non-oem seals to not be the exact right diameter and cause leaks...causing you to do the job all over again.

& yes our trannys are finicky and only like atf-dw1 if you want to keep them happy. you should be draining/filling 3 bottles of tranny fluid yearly.

bwizard

Reaction score
Will do....heading over to the dealer for the ATF in a bit.....Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

bwizard

Reaction score
Got a jump start on tomorrow's work. Pulled her into the garage far enough to be able to close the door.

ry%3D400

Driver side....I don't envy you guys with the northern cars.....no rust here...

ry%3D480

Passenger side....torn boot, you can see a little grease where it slung out. It tore on the inboard side right by the band clamp.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

I hope to get the right side axle replaced and the front coilovers installed tomorrow.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Please post a pic of those coils in two years.....I just want confirmation that the weather there is exactly what my car needs in order to keep the parts in great condition.

Back