New JL Audio/Kenwood Setup

mlp2435

Reaction score
eggyhustles... i gotta ask whats better for the money? its my understanding that this stuff is pretty damn close to top of the line.

eggyhustles

Reaction score
eggyhustles... i gotta ask whats better for the money? its my understanding that this stuff is pretty damn close to top of the line.

It really isn't to be honest. Off the top of my head i'd look into

soundsplinter, sound solutions audio, fi, digital designs, ascendant audio, dc sound lab, mach5, resonant engineering, audioque, etc etc.

Imo it's probably the most overrated/overpriced company in all of car audio..it's is designed for noobs with money who go into their local car audio shop and eat up the **** their dealer feeds them. The W7 is nothing special and their lower lines absolutely suck. (w1 w3).

Alot of people hail JL as the end all be all, and most of the folks that say this sort of thing know about as much about audio equipment as i do about quantum mechanics. JL makes amazing products, but everytime someone hails them as the audio equivilant of oxygen i have an issue. Their sales reps are slimeballs that i would no sooner hand my money to than i would hand my pecker to a lunatic with sissors. The real shame is that the price and the people who locally represent the company will keep a lot of people from enjoying some of the fine quality products they produce. Until either of these changes, i think my audioque hdc3 will do me justice, and i would be will to take the pepsi challenge with any JL product in similar applications.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
well it isn't fair to say the w7 isn't "anything special" either, because it IS still an amazing sub and JL is one of the most innovative companies overall. problem is they design something great like the w7 and then charge out the *** for it, because people don't bother to look for alternatives. they can also push a lot of stuff that's honestly just mediocre off shelves because the mainstream "trusts" their products.

the owner of Fi audio actually lives near me, he's a very cool guy (met him when I was selling my IDMax actually lol). They bought ascendant audio a year or two ago from Chad, basically for the brand recognition. AA audio is basically their more generic / less expensive brand while Fi audio is very customizable but costs a bit more as well.

mlp2435

Reaction score
weird.. i better tell the slimeball sales rep (my brother) that he fed me a line of crap. my best friend of 24 years also has a shop that will stand by any jl product he sells. ive been doing car audio for 10 years and have had JL in my vehicles for 8. i dont by any means bow down to JL but i have had nothing but good luck with their products so im sticking with them. but i will say you must have had some bad luck with JL or there sales reps.

have you personally had a w7 or any of there lower lines that absolutely suck?

eggyhustles

Reaction score
When i was 19 i bought the w7 and the 1000/1 for 1400 thinking i had the best thing since sliced bread. setup was amazing and i loved it, until my neighbor picked up a 10" fi q. his setup was twice as loud and cleaner than mine. sub was more smoother and alot more accurate. since then i've decided to never mess with JL audio again.

hayn808

Reaction score
The W7 is good as long as you get it for the right price. Im running a 13.5 w7 in a ported box and i got t for 250, it think i made a good purchase. It sounds good imo but the only con to it is the odd 3 ohm impedance.

Back