New n ready to improve

GOLDEN707

Reaction score
Im not new to Hondas but new to threads. I have many questions and hopefully some answers to some. But I Finally got my liscence bak after many years w/o 1 and just copped on a 2001 Honda Accord ex sedan, ULEV-VTEC 5spd. Manual w/some minor improvements. I'm working on adding several more via DIY style as I always do. I wanna start off saying hi to everyone n hope I can help some ppl and get a lot of ideas and help as well. First off a possible dumb question. Sorry if so but wats the difference between vtec and ulev-vtec?

..[]¬[]×(]_[)×[] \[]×[]_[)×[]¬\\..

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Welcome!

You have an F23A4 engine which has ULEV VTEC. The F23A1 engine has standard LEV VTEC. The F23A4 head adheres to stricter emission standards. With that said, it cuts horsepower due to restrictions in the head from 150 HP to 148 HP.

GOLDEN707

Reaction score
So not the the best then right? I recently purchased a performance chip for my car also. Should receive it in the mail soon. Will that help that?

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
The engine you have is more emissions friendly like james said. The hp loss in your engine is so small, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. But if you really wanted to, you could swap heads with an f23a1. Or even do a very mild port and polish to bring it up to par. You may also want to swap out the intake and exhaust. They might be more restrictive than the f23a1, they might not be. That's something I never bothered looking into.

As for the chip. Hate to be the one to tell you, but that isn't going to help. They usually just dump more fuel in and makes it run rich. The best thing to do is convert to obd1 with a tuneable ecu (p28) and get that tuned. But even then, it's not really worth it until you start to get serious with the mods, past basic intake and exhaust bolt ons. I mean turbo, frankenswap, full motor swap, etc...

james'99

Reaction score
The engine you have is more emissions friendly like james said. The hp loss in your engine is so small, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. But if you really wanted to, you could swap heads with an f23a1. Or even do a very mild port and polish to bring it up to par. You may also want to swap out the intake and exhaust. They might be more restrictive than the f23a1, they might not be.

The exhaust has some more restrictive components As well. I know the downpipe has a double core or something like that. In reality, it isn't really much to worry about. If you need to do a head job, just swap it, the ecu, intake and exhaust and be done. Otherwise, not much to mess with.

GOLDEN707

Reaction score
I already have a cold air intake. But no exaust. I actually like it quiet n it's still decently quick. N I already ordered the chip. It says it's also suppose to help gas mileage at the same time. But I don't know. Never had one. If it doesn't work out like I expected wen I get it will it mess anything up to remove?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I'd like a manual sedan as a daily. Good find. As for the chip, I don't think it will do much of anything to help the car. I'm surprised they even have one for this chassis.

GOLDEN707

Reaction score
Yeah. Agreed. I'm going to actually send it bak. Already contacted the company n told em. I was just looking for a quick n easy upgrade for power. I latly been putting in a lot of work on the interior n a lil exterior. Examples are, Audio - 2 15s wit double did deck n amp for highs and another for the subs. Hid's Cummin in the mail today. 8000k blue. Just finished swapping the interior lights and dash light to blue led also. I basically want my car to be more luxury wit a lil power!!

Back