New Rack and Pinion

boorishid

Reaction score
I decided to post this since my other post is somewhat misleading and now i know the real problem with the car, I would ask some questions in a new thread, mods feel free to delete my other post about leaky break lines.

So if i was to buy a reman rack and pinion #1 autozone or Nappa?? I like autozone becuase of the rewards program. The brand Autozone sells is Atsco i found one post about a mustang guy where it crapped out and he lost steering, coulda been his fault idk.. what about dealership (just called them they said 521 without core thats alot more than anywhere else)?

#2 either one has a core charge can i get away taking the old one off driving to wichever store handing it to them and avoid having to pay a core?

#3 I was also told by another memmber to change my tie rod ends, why? I know the dangers of a bad tie rod end, had one bust on me doing 20 in a van luckily so no one got hurt! But in this case is it just a might as well do it while your down there thing? Also should i do upper and lower tie rods?

#4 for anyone with a haynes it has nothing in the index that i can find about the rack and pinion would it have another name? Anyone got the chapter number searched the book last night.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Buy a "long" rack with inner tie rod ends on it, the short rack does not come with them. Easier to do the job at home.

You'd be a fool not to replace the tie rod ends. They're cheap, but 'em.

Return the core after you've installed and verified the new one is working. Ask to borrow if you have to, they'll get their money back.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I thought it was a rack in pinion with the picture you showed me. Anyways, I replaced my steering rack in my toyota avalon with 115k. I now have 145k and 3 years later with NO ISSUES.

Some people refer to them as a "steering rack"

This is by far the best company I think for steering rack and pinions. I didnt pay a core charge because I found a special with this company on ebay. They offer a 36month warranty and unlimited miles.

For you, if you order directly from their site...its $215 pluss your core...they will send you a box and paid postage for your old one. I think its an excellent price and their quality is excellent.

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart/2000_Honda/Accord/Power_Steering_Rack/80-00723.html#

Last edited:

boorishid

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have a friend who remans these things for a living gave him a call said he could reman mine for about 200 and even make it steer a little tighter... idk about this
closest thing haynes has is steering gear but from the brief lookover im sure its something diffrent. Just gonna get an all data diy account i guess. Anyime i have a problem his haynes never works out for me lol

Last edited:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
well over time R&P's tend to wear down on the gear teeth so putting in new teeth, new grease along with the tie rod inner and outer links, it would steer tighter..

Be sure that it is the rack and pinion before you do that. I know the other thread was misleading but i dont see any direct link between the R&P and your brakes going all the way to the floor. But if you know it is then do it up. Might be safe while ur down there to do some other checkups

finch13

Reaction score
The site HondaLuver83 posted seems legit, I wouldn't have a problem using it.

Pm me your email, I have the instructions in PDF for you.

Drift

Reaction score
Replacing the steering rack was one of the worst jobs Ive ever done on my accord. I was ready to Ferris Bueller the car right off the jack stands when I was doing it.

Good luck!

boorishid

Reaction score
my brake pedal never fell to the floor. it was hissing im pretty sure i just need a good flush and bleed as far as that goes, like i said two totally unrelated problems in the end. Just popped up togather at the same time in the moonlight made things a bit confusing.

boorishid

Reaction score
im going to takes some pics and photo shop them tommrow with some circles and what not but im not sure i acually need a new rack, Every pic ive looked at of a rack online does not include the hardlines that are acually leaking or were leaking before the stop leak junk. Anyways PDF would be greatly appreciated so i can figure out a little more about what im getting into :) and where those hardlines leaking actually go.

accord_luv

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this old thread back but.. the question was never answered. would you guys buy a Rack n Pinion from autozone, advanceautoparts or nappa?

advance brand is fenco
autozone brand is duralast
not sure what napa's brand is..

tried to search for reviews on google but only found a few.. not sure if you guys here have any input on it or not.

installing it on the car on saturday.. i got a buddy that works at advance so i will be buying it at the "commercial" price which helps out.. also baught some moog outter tie rods.

just want to see if anyone has any experience with these brands

thanks in advance

Back