New to forum and need help with vibration

fdsa487

Reaction score
I have a 99 accord that I recently bought and under acceleration I get a high frequency vibration on the steering wheel and the rear view mirror and the engine seems louder than it should be. At idle or when I let off the gas it is smooth and quiet. Under acceleration OR just maintaining speed on the freeway I get a vibration and rough engine type noise and the high frequency vibaration in the car and steering wheel.

I don't know much about Honda vehicles, but it is a 4 cil, ULEV VTEC according to the top of the engine.

It has 190,000 miles on it.

What do you think this could be? Could you also let me know how to check to see if the problem may be what you recommend so I can get back to you ASAP?

I just got the Accord on Sunday and haven't had any time yet to check it out fully. I have a new born and work full time. haha Thanks everyone!

:rly:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Sounds like axles... Thats what happens before mine go out. And they go out all the time. Check your boots

fdsa487

Reaction score
Check the motor mounts, axels, and alignment - got it!

I will get back to you after these items have been checked. I just wonder how the axel would make it seem like the engine is louder than it should be under acceleration.

I know how to check the motor mounts. How do I go about checking the axels? If the boots look bad or torn and/or leaking then I can assume the axel is bad, but what if there is no leakage or torn boots?

There is no clicking when turning and accelerating so I’m pretty sure that they are in decent condition.

Thank you everyone for the help! I will get back to you with the conclusion as after everthing is inspected this coming weekend.

619rcr

Reaction score
axles are checked with the car in the air in gear. steer both directions & watch & listen for vibration. motor mounts are done in gear in fwd & reverse, while doing a brake stand. You will want a second person to observe. Put it in gear & hold down (stand) on the brake pedal with ebrake on for safety. snap the throttle & watch the mounts. wheels should be checked for balance too or bent rims.

An alignment won't cause a vibration. A bad tire, broken steering, suspension or driveline part will. If you don't know or feel comfortable doing this all, spend $20 - $30 and get a vehicle inspection & have the tires rotated & balanced. express your concerns you mentioned above with details. Any competant shop will know what to do. I am an ASE mechanic, my shop charges $20 for vehicle inspection & $5 a wheel for balance.

Last edited:

fdsa487

Reaction score
axles are checked with the car in the air in gear. steer both directions & watch & listen for vibration. motor mounts are done in gear in fwd & reverse, while doing a brake stand. You will want a second person to observe. Put it in gear & hold down (stand) on the brake pedal with ebrake on for safety. snap the throttle & watch the mounts. wheels should be checked for balance too or bent rims.

An alignment won't cause a vibration. A bad tire, broken steering, suspension or driveline part will. If you don't know or feel comfortable doing this all, spend $20 - $30 and get a vehicle inspection & have the tires rotated & balanced. express your concerns you mentioned above with details. Any competant shop will know what to do. I am an ASE mechanic, my shop charges $20 for vehicle inspection & $5 a wheel for balance.

Alright... I didn't know about putting the car in the air and listening and watching for vibaration, good call.

I will do all of this myself and if I do not find anything unusual I will take it somewhere for them to check.

619rcr

Reaction score
I forgot to tell you motor mounts usually only cause an idle vibration unless they're completely broken.
BTW I'm orig from SD, thats why my user name is 619rcr.

Latest posts

Back