nitrous dry kit

HandoEX

Reaction score
MrChad said:
The window switch (zex is basically it's own) keeps you from using nitrous too low or too high in the RPM band (and wrong gear) so you don't hurt the engine. Perfect time to use Nitrous and likely one of the best gears would be 2nd or 3rd gear on entrance ramps...
This is not true. Zex's WOT activation is NOT a window switch. Zex's kit can be set so that the system activates (after being engaged) only at wide open throttle. However, you can hit rev limiter on a manual and spray through shifts on an auto with Zex's system UNLESS you use a window switch. With a window switch, you can set the system to only engage at WOT within a certain rpm range. For instance, you can set your set the window switch on a car with an auto tranny to stop spraying at the rpm when your tranny is set to shift so that you don't spray through shifts. I am quite certain that my tranny would have lasted longer if someone would have told me about this sooner. It is the most important advice I can share with anyone planning to spray nitrous on an auto tranny. Tranny problems caused by mis-use of a nitrous system are just as common, if not more common, than motor problems so please don't forget considering ways to avoid tranny problems.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
^^think of the switch as an override to the computer. the computer (in its most basic setting like hando said) will only engage at wide open throttle, so whenever the pedal is to the floor, the nitrous is on--as long as it is inside the user-set rev range. this is a huge advantage for the zex kit. are there any other computer-controlled kits out there? im not really a nitrous person, so i havent kept up with whats out there now. in any case, you dont have to release the nitrous switch every time you have to shift so you can pay more attention to the road (always a +++), and you wont spray too early.

MrChad

Reaction score
HandoEX said:
This is not true. Zex's WOT activation is NOT a window switch. Zex's kit can be set so that the system activates (after being engaged) only at wide open throttle. However, you can hit rev limiter on a manual and spray through shifts on an auto with Zex's system UNLESS you use a window switch. With a window switch, you can set the system to only engage at WOT within a certain rpm range. For instance, you can set your set the window switch on a car with an auto tranny to stop spraying at the rpm when your tranny is set to shift so that you don't spray through shifts. I am quite certain that my tranny would have lasted longer if someone would have told me about this sooner. It is the most important advice I can share with anyone planning to spray nitrous on an auto tranny. Tranny problems caused by mis-use of a nitrous system are just as common, if not more common, than motor problems so please don't forget considering ways to avoid tranny problems.

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't aware that you could tie a window switch into the Zex system. But I did know that zex wasn't exactly like a window switch. I was under the impression that zex was nitrous for dummies. All the brains in one box under the hood.

Given the strain on an engine at low rpm and times like when pulling in 5th gear. I'd likely try and limit the window to 3000-3500 on the low end and 6000 up top so you wouldn't hit the rev limiter. Not sure if you can set a switch to only work in gears 2-4 as well on a manual as well, but if it was my car I'd prefer it as well.

HandoEX

Reaction score
MrChad said:
Thanks for the correction, I wasn't aware that you could tie a window switch into the Zex system. But I did know that zex wasn't exactly like a window switch. I was under the impression that zex was nitrous for dummies. All the brains in one box under the hood.

Given the strain on an engine at low rpm and times like when pulling in 5th gear. I'd likely try and limit the window to 3000-3500 on the low end and 6000 up top so you wouldn't hit the rev limiter. Not sure if you can set a switch to only work in gears 2-4 as well on a manual as well, but if it was my car I'd prefer it as well.
The big difference is in the tranny. The window switch will help protect the motor on a 5 speed by eliminating the possiblity of fuel cut.

For those of us with auto trannies (Sketch-I can't remember but i thought you had an auto) the window switch will help keep our trannies from getting damaged from the nitrous being sprayed through shifts. Fuel cut on an auto is not really an issue as you won't rev that high.

Regardless, I would NEVER, EVER, EVER make the same mistake again by using nitrous without a window switch in any situation on any car.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
yea, i have an auto. i know from a previous thread that spray thru the gears on an auto while its shifting is bad and can puddle nitrous on the cylinder or something like that, so i wasnt planning on that, haha. i was thinking of still having a switch, but releasing it before it shifts.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
when you buy something like a NOS Universal Kit, does it come with a window switch? or is something seperate?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FallenAngelHIM said:
when you buy something like a NOS Universal Kit, does it come with a window switch? or is something seperate?

You have to buy the window switch seperate.

.::Basil::.

Reaction score
So can anyone recommend a Wet Kit if I wanted to use my OEM engine with no upgrades? Also are Nitrous Kits illegal in most of the USA and Canada? I was thinking of getting a turbo or an H22 engine swap but I'm thinking that a Nitrous Kit would do the job for me and be cheaper. Any input would be nice.

angelplus

Reaction score
.::Basil::. said:
So can anyone recommend a Wet Kit if I wanted to use my OEM engine with no upgrades? Also are Nitrous Kits illegal in most of the USA and Canada? I was thinking of getting a turbo or an H22 engine swap but I'm thinking that a Nitrous Kit would do the job for me and be cheaper. Any input would be nice.

Nitrous = best bang for your buck.

50$ or more to fill it up

Lasts about 10 - 15 runs

Is illegal when the bottle is open (I dont know the law in Canada)

I dont have an exhaust, but I have an intake, and runs fine.

Back