No Instrument Cluster Backlights, rest of dash is lit. Wth?

ProZak512

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I've scoured the web trying to figure this out. My 2001 LX V6 coupe with the headlights on has backlights on the A/C controls, the shift selector, the radio, and the dimmer works, but all of the gauges (speedo, tach, fuel gauge, temp) are dark. The gear selector lights remain lit. Every fuse is good, every bulb is good. I'm stumped. It doesn't seem like a multiplexer issue, but how do I test / what do I look for next? What other info can I give?

I can't post the link, but there's a thread on another board titled "99 Accord LX - No dash lights when headlights on" that helped me diagnose a bad multiplexer in my 1999 EX, but it's not helpful here so far as I can tell. Argh. :-\ Thanks in advance.

-Zak-

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
Have you tried messing with that knob on the cluster? One controls the light and the other is to reset the mileage.

Akingkhan

Reaction score
6th gen accords r notorious 4 burning out bulbs if ur fuses r all good in both fuse boxes I would start checking out the bulbs
Good luck

twofast4u

Reaction score
Or maybe the plug popped out for the cluster. try making sure everything is plugged in tight.

001Stunna

Reaction score
If you did not mess with anything and this just happened on its own..check and replace
fuse #6 - 15a on driver side fuse box.
fuse#9 - 7.5a. on driver side
fuse #10 -10a on passenger side.
fuse #13 - 7.5a on passenger side.
fuse #54 - 40a on engine bay fuse box.

Last edited:

ProZak512

Reaction score
Thanks, all. I'll check that engine bay fuse tomorrow. All the bulbs are good and the dimmer knob works, that's what makes this so weird.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Any news? I have the same problem. All fuses and bulbs are good, all dummy lights like the CEL, turn signals, high beams and gear selectors work along with the map, dome, license plates, and headlights all work but the cluster back lights are all out.

UTIaccord

Reaction score
the backlighting is on a seperate circuit from the turn signal, cel and abs etc. if u have a multimeter i would disconnect the dimmer switch and check for power at it then check for continuity between the other side and ground, they are wired in parallel so if one bulb went out the others should be fine, so if u have power to it but no light u may have an open ground circuit

619rcr

Reaction score
I had a similar issue before. Do you also have all your exterior lights? I burned out my multiplex unit a few years ago playing with wiring. I had no parking lights. headlights and tail lights were ok, no dash or ctr cluster backlighting. The multiplex unit is on the back of the underdash fuse panel on the drivers side.

Goodluck.

Back