NO reverse! *HELP*

Beto_NOR_CG3

Reaction score
yea that sucks...i got an I4 and my reverse went out bout 4 months ago:sad:....went in then 5 mins later wouldnt go in reverse, 5th gear wouldnt go in either but that went away like in 30 mins..yea i have same problem:sad:

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
How does the shifting mechanism work? That is, the part from the gear shifter to the transmission gear changing shafts. Is it cables, rods or what?

Perhaps this story will help, grab some cocoa and a few tim tams...

I had a stick shift plymouth horizon (4 speed) that wouldn't shift into 2nd when I was making a left turn. Straight ahead and right turns were fine, but not left. Then one bright sunny day, when trying to shift into 2nd around a long left turn, I slid the gear stick to the right and it slipped into 2nd gear. AH - HA. It's moving on me.

The engine was moving on the mounts enough so that the shift gates mounted under the floor, didn't line up properly on left turns.

Hence the question stated at the top of the post - might just want to check your engine mounts too... of course it could be something inside the tranny, but that would be too easy.

Rich - with another tale from the riverbank

redhondapwns

Reaction score
^^that's what I was gonna say
Does it have plenty of oil in the tranny?

yeah the tranny has plenty of oil.. so ima hopefully be able 2 check it tomrrow.. but idk we just got some dusting of snow..

yea that sucks...i got an I4 and my reverse went out bout 4 months ago:sad:....went in then 5 mins later wouldnt go in reverse, 5th gear wouldnt go in either but that went away like in 30 mins..yea i have same problem:sad:

yeah i know man.. i can't not have reverse! i commute into center city which is crazy trying to find parking.. so i def need reverse to parallel park

How does the shifting mechanism work? That is, the part from the gear shifter to the transmission gear changing shafts. Is it cables, rods or what?

I had a stick shift plymouth horizon (4 speed) that wouldn't shift into 2nd when I was making a left turn. Straight ahead and right turns were fine, but not left. Then one bright sunny day, when trying to shift into 2nd around a long left turn, I slid the gear stick to the right and it slipped into 2nd gear. AH - HA. It's moving on me.

The engine was moving on the mounts enough so that the shift gates mounted under the floor, didn't line up properly on left turns.

Hence the question stated at the top of the post - might just want to check your engine mounts too... of course it could be something inside the tranny, but that would be too easy.

all my engine mounts are good.. they were replaced not more than a yr ago.. and im gonna check hopefully tomorrow morning/afternoon if the spring craped out in me or what. cuz idk where else to look.

finch13

Reaction score

They're cable shifted... if a cable was damaged, it would take out more than one gear, i.e. if the left cable broke, you would lose 1st, 2nd, 5th and Reverse on the 5spd.

OP, the 6spd tranny has a synchronizer on the reverse gear, which the 5spds do not, which could be worn as well.

There is also a reverse lockout solenoid, 2 pin connector, WHT and BLK/YEL wires.

Here are some troubleshooting steps:

1. With the engine off, can you shift into reverse? If NO, the transmission needs internal work. Possible worn reverse synchro sleeve, worn/bent shft fork, or worn/bent shift arm. If YES, continue.
2. With the car rolling forward (engine on) under 9 mph, shift into reverse, but do not let out the clutch. If NO, go to step 6. If YES, continue.
3. With the front wheels off the ground, TCS or VSA off, shift into first and accelerate to 12mph or more. Can you shift into reverse? If NO, intermittent problem. If YES, continue.
4. Unplug reverse lockout solenoid connector, turn ignition to ON/II. Measure voltage between BLK/RED wire (car side) and body ground, should be getting battery voltage. If NO, repair open circuit or connections. If YES, continue. [Dunno how you wired your swap, but the BLK/RED or BLK/YEL needs power from the battery]
5. Remove reverse lockout solenoid, apply + battery voltage to BLK/YEL wire and - battery to WHT wire. Check for correct solenoid operation. If NO, replace reverse lockout solenoid. If YES, reinstall solenoid and continue.
6. Measure for voltage between ECU A22 pin and ground. If NO, repair wire from A22 and reverse lockout solenoid. If YES, check for loose ECU A-harness connector or replace ECU with known good unit.

4draccordpwr

Reaction score
my car gave me the same problem today=/ every gear works except for reverse lol it makes no sense to me! its like a wall blocking it or something it doesnt go into gear at all

finch13

Reaction score
^ 6spd V6 or 5spd I4?

Bent shift fork or a worn reverse synchro (6spd) are the likely cause. Possibly the electronic reverse lockout could be failing too (hitting the "wall" when shifting)

4draccordpwr

Reaction score
i got a 4 banger 5spd manual i really hope it isnt the tranny i only have 76xxx miles and every gear is fine just wont go into reversehopefully its nothing serious cuz if it is FML lol

Back