No Temp Guage - Intermediate Heat

Reaction score
T'is a 99 Accord...

Was originally a dizzy 3.0 V6 which had mixing coolant/oil, developed misses, rod knocked and ticked. Tore it out engine after purchasing the vehicle and threw in a 00 coil over plug 3.0 V6.

Since the swap, my temp gauge never worked, and when I try to get heat, it'll blow cold air, on occasion you'll hear a trickle and get some heat.

Here is what I've done...

- Swapped temp sensor on t-stat housing.

- Swapped cluster and ECU from 00 donor car into my 99

- Flushed rad, heater core and that stupid valve individually to ensure proper flow, everything flows perfectly.

- Ran engine at 2000 RPM with rad cap off and heater on until fans kicked in to bleed system.

- Flushed hose going into resviour

Both heater hoses are hot to the touch, both rad hoses are warm to the touch, bottom one cooler than top.

No overheating issues. Car drives fine. Sometimes it will idle a little wonkie for a second, which I take as an indication of air in the system still.

At a total loss here... Any input on either issue?

james'99

Reaction score
They changed something with that in that year of the car. The changed the temp guage to use a P/W modulation I think that year.

Are you using the sensor from the old engine or new?

Reaction score
So errrrm, I come to find out there was those "differences" between 98-99 and 00-02. The biggest thing I could find was they went from two sensors to one, but both sensors exist still. That said, the cluster was what some mentioned needed to be changed with the ECU the mentioned changes worked in tandem. Well if they were right, they were wrong for a fix.

But I think you just hit the nail on the head, as this has been something that crossed my mind. As the junkyard boys broke the donor 00 motors sensor I used the one from the 99 dizzy motor. I have another 01 motor on hand I'll steel that sensor and slap it on and try...

Appreciate that, you've been a great help, I'll let you know how I fair.

Back