Non Honda Power Steering Fluid?

HighTech

Reaction score
Quick question. Is using non honda power steering fluid in an H22a ok?

Also I took out all the power steering fluid I could with a turkey baster and refilled in and now the fluid is bubbling over and is become frothy...how do i stop this?

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
The choice of fluid is fine and I believe you're suppose to keep turning your steering in full lock (both directions) to remove the air bubbles

F23A1AT

Reaction score
The choice of fluid is fine and I believe you're suppose to keep turning your steering in full lock (both directions) to remove the air bubbles

No and yes.

Always use Honda PS fluid or Honda designed PS fluid. The system will squeal like a stuck pig and fail if anything else is used. To remove the air bubbles, you going to have to let it sit for a while and let them collect into bigger bubbles since they are now emulsified. After it sits for a while jack the front of the car up and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock. Do this until you see no more air bubbles coming through the reservoir, this could take several dozen turning cycles.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Yes it will damage the pump and yes you will need to raise the front if the vehicle because it will be impossible for you to turn the wheel lock to lock that many times. You will need the leave the engine off.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
the prestone stuff in the red bottle is what i used. it says it safe for hondas and other imports

001Stunna

Reaction score
Yes it will damage the pump and yes you will need to raise the front if the vehicle because it will be impossible for you to turn the wheel lock to lock that many times. You will need the leave the engine off.

Why wouldn't one be able to turn the wheel lock to lock with the car on the ground?
...or are you referring to turning the wheel lock to lock with the engine off?

When i did mine i just sucked out old fluid with a turkey baster and refilled, repeated 3-4 times after bleeding the system and running it each time for 5-10mins.

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Unless dude has guns like tree trunks I doubt he'd be able to turn the wheel lock to lock with the car on the ground so many times. Also with the front of the car up in the air any stray bubbles will be forced up and forward. The engine has to be off or the PS fluid will become emulsified again.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Unless dude has guns like tree trunks I doubt he'd be able to turn the wheel lock to lock with the car on the ground so many times. Also with the front of the car up in the air any stray bubbles will be forced up and forward. The engine has to be off or the PS fluid will become emulsified again.

Sorry, i was thinking you meant turning the wheel lock to lock with the engine running was hard to do. I stand corrected.

Back