Noob here, what the difference between accords with vtec vs. ulev valve covers

vtfulton

Reaction score
My 2001 lx 5 speed has the F23A4 ULEV, and I've seen 2001 accords with VTEC valve covers.
Whats the difference? Horsepower diff? emissions?

Thanks,

Vin

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Ulev means ultra low emissions vehicle and I believe there's not really a horsepower difference. I believe they're the same but the f23a4 might be slightly less

Last edited:

WizadOfOz

Reaction score
F23A4
This engine was used in the 1998-2002 Honda Accord ULEV models. It is substantially similar to the F23A1, but features ULEV certification with a slight reduction of power: 148 hp (108 kW) with a maximum torque of 150 lb·ft (203 Nm). This engine has a different exhaust manifold, a more restrictive intake manifold and cylinder head, and a 32-bit ECU which uses an AFR (Air Fuel Ratio) oxygen sensor when compared to the F23A1.

Source: Wikipedia.org

vtfulton

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah i knew it stood for ultra low emissions vehicle.... just curious about what was the point of it?

Did the offer every 4cyl car as vtec or ulev?

was it more or less money?

james'99

Reaction score
I mean, theoretically, even though it had less power, it had beefier exhaust components, more restrictive head, etc, the ULEV should cost more but they were probably about the same price more or less.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
It's pretty much the same as the f23a1, just pollutes a little less and has like 4 or 5 less hp depending on which source you find.

Pretty much what the others said, more restrictive intake exhaust and head. I'm not sure what's different about the head though, different port maybe?

I think the main point was marketing. Show customers they care about the environment

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heads, intake, etc are the same.

The difference is in the emissions, different exhaust manifold, o2 sensor, and o2 sensor placement. I believe it has a wideband o2 factory.

WizadOfOz

Reaction score
Indeed, the ULEV model was designed to comply with strict CA emissions for the US. The engine has a slight power reduction but at the benefit of lower CO2, as far as value goes it seems that the cost was the same as LEV models.

Back