Nothing special...

AFAccord

Reaction score
So I stopped in a local stereo shop today to pick up some 0awg power cable for my battery relocation, and the salesman inquired about my audio setup. I presented my usual disclaimer about how I've toned things down lately since the days of throwing home audio speakers my car and taking the competitors by storm.

So anyway, he mentioned that they had a monthly SPL competition, and the winner in each class would receive the class's pot of entry money ($10 per shot). I kindly refused and continued on in other conversation, but after a few minutes he offered to test my car for free, so I couldn't help but obliged.

I pulled around back, and let the tech install the mic as I fumbled through my CDs. After a couple minutes of digging, I realized my Bass Mechanics Test DVD was already loaded in the head unit. Started with some sweeps, then went to frequency tones once we found the car's resonant frequency.

So in the end my quaint setup of two 8" subs in my custom enclosure with a estimated 400wrms from the amp belched out a respectable 132.4dB. Can't say I'm disappointed. It's a far cry from the 157.3dB I produced in 2000, but the response is beautiful from a quiet whisper up to max volume.

Maybe one day I'll step down to 1ohm to see what it can do, but for now I love my setup the way it is. :boink:

CLIFFS: Got a free SPL test. Made 132.5dB @ 51hz from two 8" subs on 400wrms total. :jerkit:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Let that be a lesson on the quality that Cerwin Vega puts in to their product! I hit that with 4 RF Punch 12's running off a Legacy 400w amp 6 years ago in my 97 Cutlass Supreme.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Not to mention, the tight response from 8" woofers that still have the ability to drop is an incredible combination.

lyttleviet

Reaction score
are your subs pre-diamond audio? I am a big fan of diamond audio subs for budget systems, so I wouldn't expect anything less from a CV sub.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Let that be a lesson on the quality that Cerwin Vega puts in to their product! I hit that with 4 RF Punch 12's running off a Legacy 400w amp 6 years ago in my 97 Cutlass Supreme.
It all has to do with the enclosure. I've seen 2 12" $40 dollar Pyramid sub-woofers (From Radio Shack) hit 145, 2 12" subs in a 4.0cu-ft ported box hit 156.7...stick both them setups in the wrong enclosure you'll be lucky to come near 120, if you don't blow the subs first. Cerwin Vega however is a quality sub, not doubting that. Just stating it takes the proper enclosure.

AFAccord

Reaction score
are your subs pre-diamond audio? I am a big fan of diamond audio subs for budget systems, so I wouldn't expect anything less from a CV sub.

I've been out of the scene too long, so I'm not sure about their production. They were some older models that were on the back shelf at my friend's shop that had never sold, so he gave me a good deal on them.

It all has to do with the enclosure. I've seen 2 12" $40 dollar Pyramid sub-woofers (From Radio Shack) hit 145, 2 12" subs in a 4.0cu-ft ported box hit 156.7...stick both them setups in the wrong enclosure you'll be lucky to come near 120, if you don't blow the subs first. Cerwin Vega however is a quality sub, not doubting that. Just stating it takes the proper enclosure.

Well, I built the box myself. Tuned it very low hoping to enable them to drop. Intial box had 4, but I cut it down to two, and sold the other two for weight/space savings.

lyttleviet

Reaction score
8s aren't gonna be able to get that deep period but they can sure sound like it!

AFAccord

Reaction score
8s aren't gonna be able to get that deep period but they can sure sound like it!

There's a distinct difference in the sound if you just stepped out of a car with 12's, but it's not a bad difference at all. Very punchy and tight. They're just running at 4ohms right now (~400wrms), but I'd like to find some 8" woofers to replace them so I can wire to 1ohm (~1100+wrms). Clean and loud is what I like.

Back