OBD I & OBD II

LegendRacer22

Reaction score
i've been reading about these conversions, but have no idea what it is or what it do for our cars.
can someone please explain?? thanks

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
in a nutshell, there are three different computer systtems for all cars.
obd2 is us (96 and up)
obd1 92-96 i bellieve
obd0 is before that
Onboard diagnostics is the name and all it is is a way read all of the cars cpu data in a standard way.

retroshark

Reaction score
you convert to obd1 because you can chip the ecu and run a particular fuel map on the ecu.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't necessary have to be modded in order to do the OBD1 conversion. In all seriousness you could just convert to OBD1 first and then decide how you want to mod your car.

mahBLACKaccord

Reaction score
if it's a daily driver you might really want to consider staying obd2. obd2 just means there are more sensors watching more things going on with your car. if you convert to obd1, you will lose track on stuff going on with your car...and if something goes wrong, how are you going to find out what it is?

people use obd1 to tuning because when you tune to increase the airflow. the CEL doesn't go on. it can in obd2. but like i said, if it's a daily driver you should keep the obd2 ecu, if your going to obd1, might as well go as an all out track car. but if not you need your sensors working.

another thing is that since the car came with obd2 from the factory, you have to have the obd2 ecu in the car or you automatically fail.

there are chips out there for obd2.
one of which i i read about that was pretty interesting. you can buy the GReddy e-Manage, and with that you can plug it in to your existing ecu with out having to remove or convert...and you can actually dyno tune your car with it. make sure you have mods to make the most of it. they change the air to fuel ratio to use the potential of your mods. it looks pretty cool and that's something i'm gonna look into getting in the future.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Like above, in a nutshell, obd I is just easier to deal with. It's not keeping track of as much. And some cars now have 10X as many fuel curves when dealing with part open throttle, etc. Even on many cars where WOT tuning is virtually the same, of the gas, the car might drive much worse. Keep in mind that most states with tough emissions laws will not let you do this.

Back