OBD2b>OBD1 Conversion?

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Hey guys I could really use your help. Got a lot of time and money invested already and need some advice.

I'm about to start my 5 spd swap and figure since I need a new ECU anyway, might as well buy a chipped p28 with conversion harness and convert. I have a h22 head (dohc vtec) in my apartment ;) Looking to do the g23 later, so the p28 would be good pre planning

I've found a couple outdated threads about the need for a obd 1 icv and adapter plate, which I have, but question about the wiring? What do I do to convert the 3 wires to a 2 wire plug harness-side? (which will be a ***** to find I bet)

I've found also that the coolant gauge won't work with the p28, but you can 'piggyback' your stock ecu just for that purpose only(?) anyone know how I could do this?

Thanks for your time.. If someone can help me do this, I'll promise to make a legible how to guide for others since there is little on the subject :p

Snoobly

Reaction score
talk to russianred for the pigtail. or go to the junkyard and pull it off any obd1 honda. you wire the two colored wires together and ground the black one anywhere on the frame.
for the coolant gauge, badgertype knows how, ive been meaning to get mine working again but i can't find the thread that says how to do it. probably just look at the wiring and figure it out myself when i have the time. i don't believe you need the obd2 ecu to do it though

Last edited:

SuperMidget

Reaction score
cool many thanks i'll talk to those peoples.

So this IACV that I have is off the h22 (unsure if year) seems to be operated by vacuum.. meaning its pre OBD? I'm kinda sure on the particular details in regards to the iacv swap (that i assume should have a 2 pin connector).. any details?

Edit: K, found some details here http://www.blacktrax.net/images/products/IACValveInstructionPicts.jpg

So I guess I need to get an IACV and pig tail from any accord (0bd1) from a junker?

Last edited:

Snoobly

Reaction score
any OBD1 honda in general. doesn't even have to be an Accord.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Now because I have a stock auto trans vehicle, and I'm converting it to manual with this new p28 should I get the obd2b>obd1 auto conversion harness? (keep in mind I'm going to be doing all the wiring/repinning for the vtec, speedo, reverse lights etc)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
If you're going to be re-pinning and checking the wires in general anyways, it doesn't matter if your harness is auto or manual - you will customize it to your specs anyways from the sounds of what you just said, logically.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Well I thought that some of the repinning to the ecu was to basically fool or trick it. Now I assume from your post, Red, that once I'm done repinning, the ecu harness is now the same as a stock mt ecu?

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Right

So I've tried to order the black trax adapter plate, and apparently they don't ship to Canada, however I have emailed them..

If I can't get it is there a way around this besides making the plate myself?

Snoobly

Reaction score
i believe there is another company that makes them, but i cannot recall the name right now

Back