odometer hotspots?

silverbullet99

Reaction score
A little less than a year ago I did a blue LED gauge conversion to my EX using the high power LEDs. I used a regular LED on my clock & removed the filter. The clock is fine, but my odometer screen has these "hotspots" (if thats what they are).
picture.php

WTF causes these? just LEDs in general or was it cuz I used the high power LED? Is there any trick to fix these? maybe shake the cluster? and watch them disappear like an etch a sketch haha.
I really don't care about how the EX looks, because its my high mileage daily driver, BUT now I'm converting the gauges in my LX to red. My LX is mint, inside and out, and everythings gotta be perfect in it. If I put an LED behind the odometer and it ruins the screen forever, I'm gunna be really fukin pist lol. Is the same thing going to happen even if I use a regular LED? because I really don't want to take any chances. I'd rather leave the original bulb in there, OR maybe try a red bulb......

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
thats just how leds work in there. the bulb/led is located centrally directly behind the odo, so that why theres a hotspot when a led is used. your best bet is a red bulb, but you have to find one that small. i have bulbs for most of my cluster because i didnt want any hotspots.

inv4zn

Reaction score
Are you talking about how its brighter in the middle than in the sides? That's what I thought hotspots were...

Or are you talking about that messedup scratch looking thing between the 6 and 7 on your mileage?

inv4zn

Reaction score
ok, I was just clarifying because OP mentioned he wanted to shake the cluster...and common sense dictates bright light isn't solved through shaking lol

Maybe the 'hotspots' he mentioned are something else? dunno haha

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
oh yeah, it's totally like an etch a sketch, since we wall know etch a sketches are made of LCDs.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Those small marks look like scratches to me, what did you use to remove the blue film?

silverbullet99

Reaction score
Are you talking about how its brighter in the middle than in the sides? That's what I thought hotspots were...

Or are you talking about that messedup scratch looking thing between the 6 and 7 on your mileage?

my bad, I thought the scratch thing WAS what you all called "hotspots". That scratch wasn't there until I replaced the regular bulb with an LED.

Those small marks look like scratches to me, what did you use to remove the blue film?

I didn't remove the blue film or "light filter" as they call it.

Back