Odometer Numbers Fading out

Elcid

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 02 - EX-V6 Sedan. My odometer numbers are being to fade out. When I tap on the the plastic guage cover, they are fine. This is starting to happen quite often now. Does anyone know a cheap fix.
Thanks.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like the LCD is going bad or something of that nature. I've never heard of that happening, but it's not your bulb so I guess it's possible.

Elcid

Reaction score
Thanks all. I fiqured my odo is going bad. The problem is I cant just get odo from Honda ... have to buy the whole cluster. Oh well I brought the car new and i will keep until it dies. Hope it last as long as my last 1988 Accord LXI had 266K miles.

Thanks again.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You can be a little creative and buy a cluster with slightly more miles...wait until your original cluster matches the one you bought, then swap them.

:thumbsup:

fallout09890

Reaction score
i have this same issue...so the cluster stores the mileage(like the old clusters)??
Yes, the mileage is stored in the cluster, the advantage of the old cluster (non-digital) is that it is easier to adjust the mileage, by disassembling the cluster and rolling back the rotary numbers. With the digital clusters, it's very hard or impossible to change the mileage, maybe due to the fact that some idiots rollback their odometers before they sell their cars.

blankkoop

Reaction score
Yes, the mileage is stored in the cluster, the advantage of the old cluster (non-digital) is that it is easier to adjust the mileage, by disassembling the cluster and rolling back the rotary numbers. With the digital clusters, it's very hard or impossible to change the mileage, maybe due to the fact that some idiots rollback their odometers before they sell their cars.

:thumbup:

ZFreak

Reaction score
I've had this happen to TWO of my accords now...both 1998 4dr's. One an auto LX, 287k miles, and the current one, a 5 speed EX, 267k. I posted in the technical forum about this, and apparently it's happening more as these cars get older. The "cheap fix" is to find one with close miles as yours. It's tougher for me since I have pretty high mileage.

tn1kinobe

Reaction score
Problem solved. Mine started doing the same thing, and if I pressed on the plastic against the odomoeter, it will display correctly, but once I lofted my fingers, some segments would fade out again. So I opened it up, and inspected it, and sure enough, the soldering joints where the LCD of the odomoter met the circuit board were cracked (very tiny cracks, only seen with magnifying glass). If you open it, you'll see that the LCD unit itself is large, and at the top of it, it runs to the board with a series of metal strings, like a guitar, not a ribbon. Where these metal strings attach to the back of the circuit board is the culprit. Over time, the soldering joints can crack with microfissures through repeated bangs and temperature changes. Simply retouch carefully with a soldering iron, and voila, problem solved.

Back