Oil Change on 4 cyl 98 accord lx 4dr

newjacksm

Reaction score
Hey Question this is the 3rd time im doing an oil change on my accord by my self. I was wondering how many quarts for you 4cyl owners put in? The first two time I did the change I put 4 1/2 quarts and it was just perfect at least I thought it was. This time I put in 4 1/2 quarts and it barely is on the oil stick. This time I put in 5 quarts and it barely is on the oil stick it is underneath the first circle.

So yeah my question is really how much are you suppose to put in a 4 cyl 98 accord. I stopped at 5 because im scared to go any further.

and yes I am on a flat surface. I idled each time I put in new oil.

nexTOme

Reaction score
i have never done oil change myself (20dollar oil change FTW) but i always thot it was 4.5qt

[email protected].

Reaction score
and yes I am on a flat surface. I idled each time I put in new oil.

Are you saying you idled to warm up the oil so it would drain better? Or, are you saying you put new oil in, and then idled it?

Engine should be cold before checking oil, or at least sitting long enough to let the oil drain back to the oil pan. Sounds like you're checking it before that has a chance to happen.

Mojeans69

Reaction score
u should put in 4.5 quarts....if ur barely seein it on the dipstick after the change...that means all the oil in in the engine and you have to wait until it all goes back down into the oil pan, thats where the dipstick goes and remember.....always lube the filter gasket......thanks you thank you il be here all week.... :rofl:

Last edited:

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
4.5 quarts, start it up let it run for a min, shut it off, check it, add oil as necessary. most of the time its a full 5 quarts.

Back