Oil leak...

metrick1235

Reaction score
Ok, so not sure if this has been covered or not..

My car has been barely dripping some oil over the past few months but its only a drip or two a day sitting in the drive way. This morning i drove to work and i got a call from my wife telling me i had a big puddle of oil on the ground at the house.. I went outside here at work and looked and had a puddle under it that is about the size of a bagel. Im going to be out for 6 weeks due to surgery tomorrow so i will have some down time to look. Where should i start my searches to get this fixed. If its not one thing its another... ugh.. thanks for any help.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Jack up the front and look with a flashlight to find the source. If the whole bottom is drenched in oil then wipe it down and let it sit a little and the source should be more obvious. Be sure to take pictures.

In the mean time top it off so nothing catastrophic happens.

metrick1235

Reaction score
Ya ill have to wipe everything.. i know its coming from passenger side somewhere and ive got it topped off with oil right now..

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I would give insight but not very familiar with the V6...

On that side it could be a lot of different seals.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Drain plug, oil pump, oil pan...not that familiar with v6 layout but I'd start there.

AccordUser

Reaction score
I would start from the top of the engine bay. To find a leak you use gravity. Look for oil at its highest point in the engine because whats below had to come from above, right. However sometimes when oil drips near the belts, it can make the search a little more difficult because it will spatter in abnormal areas. When I look for oil leaks, I like to do it with a warm engine, idk y, seems to make it easier for me, but u do u. Also, smell with your nose, if you smell a burning of any kind, follow it straight to the cuprit!

metrick1235

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, ill get to work on it in about 4 days (After surgery if i feel up to it).. right now its parked and driving the jeep tonight... Im hoping its nothing major.. Its been leaking for a while just one or two drops, but that was it. Then this AM it left a puddle. sooo.... I had to replace the Thermostat a month ago due to over heating so hope that didnt contribute to this issue...

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
Ya ill have to wipe everything.. i know its coming from passenger side somewhere and ive got it topped off with oil right now..

I have the V6, most likely it is either your Rear Main Seal or your crank seal. The crank seal is pretty simple to get to, you have to take off your downpipe, oil pan, belt covers, belts, and your oil pump maybe your water pump I cant remember.

I have had to replace both. The rear main seal i have done for around $600 because you have to drop the tranny and such.

Back