Oil Pan Gasket Help!

nhldogg

Reaction score
I drive a 1998 Accord v6 sedan with the J30 motor. I have a bad oil leak coming from the oil pan and I am going to go about taking off the pan and re sealing it. Since there is no gasket made for the v6 oil pan, what should I use to reseal it with no issues or further leaks?

nhldogg

Reaction score
I have used Honda Bond before without good results. Now if I were to use gasket paper would I have to use that with some type of sealant or would just the gasket paper be enough?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
29208.jpg

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
most auto part stores should have it...though be aware, its pretty expensive. do it right the first time. run a nice, tight bead shaped like this:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

if youve ever watched someone put frosting on a cake from a bag, do it like that :lawl: dont lay it down like caulking a window.

and while at the store, pick up a gasket scraper...dont be tempted to use a screwdriver or knife blade.

akoutmos

Reaction score
I used the copper forma-gasket by permatex. You can get it at autozone. LINK. Would highly recommend it. It's been the gasket for my pan for the last 3 years. Not a single leak.

nhldogg

Reaction score

I used the copper forma-gasket by permatex. You can get it at autozone. LINK. Would highly recommend it. It's been the gasket for my pan for the last 3 years. Not a single leak.

After comparing the two I found that they are pretty much similar but I believe that I am going to go with akoutmos's recommendation since it is cheaper and he has had good experience with it.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Past couple of nights there's been mini puddles of oil in my garage slightly larger than a quarter. Had my car lifted up at a shop today and there's an apparent leak from a bad oil pan gasket.

The dude added some JB stop-leak in the oil for a temp fix. Anybody ever used this, is it bad? I'll eventually replace the gasket during my next oil change though.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Past couple of nights there's been mini puddles of oil in my garage slightly larger than a quarter. Had my car lifted up at a shop today and there's an apparent leak from a bad oil pan gasket.

The dude added some JB stop-leak in the oil for a temp fix. Anybody ever used this, is it bad? I'll eventually replace the gasket during my next oil change though.

I wouldn't use the stop leak stuff on oil. & as much as JB Weld stuff has amazed me, I wouldnt put that especially in oil lol. All it is suppose to do is swell the seals(and at times it softens them too much) so they seal better and hence leaking stops. The oil pan gasket will not swell if i'm correct.

With that said make sure its your oil pan and not your oil pressure switch from up top(above filter)...but you only see the dampness on the oil pan as it flows down.

Back