Oil spitting from tailpipe

barfo

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Accord EX 5-spd sedan; bought a year ago from private party; been burning a quart of oil every 450-500 miles, but can't figure out where the oil is going; no previous signs of leaking, spitting, blowing smoke when we first bought it; Honda shop has been using synthetic blended oil for oil changes and I've been using full synthetic oil when oil level is low to help seal any unseen leaks; now it's beginning to spit/spray oil from exhaust pipe; what could be the causes(s); I'm wondering if the piston oil control rings (either of the oil rails and/or the oil expander) are starting to finally go bad? If so, what are the repair/replacement options and cost?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sino

Reaction score
99 5 speed here, mine guzzles oil as well, and has almost since new. All signs point to piston rings. I'm in the middle of an engine overhaul, and a machine shop I'll be using will probably recommend some aftermarket rings be used.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
they fill with gunk, running 'seafoam' in the gas helps clean them

also, changing oil regularly keeps oil from turning to gunk

barfo

Reaction score
Seafoam? I'll hv to look that up. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DizzyP

Reaction score
Sounds like previous owner went 007 on it. You just gotta find the on/off switch.

iPhone using Tapatalk, sent from my.

barfo

Reaction score
Yeah, if I can find the darn thing; now where did he place it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sb001

Banned
Reaction score
OP I have the same issue and posted about it a while back (although not burning quite that much.) Apparently I burned enough oil over a Christmas break trip that my VTEC valve no longer functioned (it runs off crankcase oil pressure.) I have yet to try the seafoam, pisses me off that AutoZone had seafoam at half price last month, didn't figure out the problem with mine and running seafoam in it until they had taken it off sale price. :mad:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Apparently I burned enough oil over a Christmas break trip that my VTEC valve no longer functioned (it runs off crankcase oil pressure.)

VTEC valve's run off oil pressure, if oil goes low, VTEC is disabled and light comes on.

And as for price, I charge $130/hr, 2hrs to clean it all, $260, so a can at $13 is still a deal

Back