Okay so I have 13% tint, thank you officer

Telri

Reaction score
In Hawaii its 35% all around (+ or - 6%, so down to 29% is legal) on cars. Vans, trucks and SUVs are exempt on windows to the rear of the driver. So the front 2 have to be 35% (also + or -6%) and the rest can be completely blacked out if so desired. This exemption however only applies if they have "external rear view mirrors." I would think that most if not all other states have similar requirements, with the difference being the tint %. Generally you can find this information in the Statutes for your state. Alternatively I'm sure your local DMV has a copy of the tint law, but take it with a grain of salt. They tend to leave out some info that may let you get darker tint (they left out the + or -6% on their sheet here).

Telri

Reaction score
ryan s said:
i ask because every chart i see with states on it is different. the one posted here says wi is 35% but another one says its 50% (i might have em flipflopped). i cant figure out which one is right :mad:

If your windshield has an AS1 mark you can have any VLT tint on it as long as its above the AS1 mark. If it has no AS1 mark, you can't have any tint on it.

Front side windows can have up to 50% VLT tint on it, or if you can get a note from a physician or christian science practitioner who is caring for the owner of the vehicle or an immediate family member of the owner, you can go to 35% VLT.

Rear side windows can go up to 35% VLT.

Rear window can go up to 35% VLT, but if its darker than 60% VLT you need to have "outside rearview mirrors."

Having illegal tint is worth 2 demerits. This information is from the 1997 copy of the WI statutes and may have changed since.

Back