one-off yak basket zzzzzzz...

MoneyPit

Reaction score
I built a basket for my roof rack. I like it.
Started with this:
accord352.jpg

Ended with this:
accord365.jpg

accord369.jpg

I've still gotta fab the front floor, but I ran out of argon :( Once it's finished completely, it'll be powdercoated the same color as my leons.
I've still got a ton of work to do to clean everything up before coating. I'll keep my progress updated yo!

UPDATE 9/26: Finished the basket up today, it will go out for powder on monday and should be done before next weekend :p
accord387-1.jpg

accord385.jpg

accord392.jpg

accord393.jpg

UPDATE 10/8: Back from powdercoating, fresh with a new yakima badge. Finished product! Better pics up soon.
accord399.jpg

Last edited:

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Cool man, nice work. Got anything in mind that u need the basket for? Is it for a certain hobby? Or just fun?

MoneyPit

Reaction score
Cool man, nice work. Got anything in mind that u need the basket for? Is it for a certain hobby? Or just fun?

Mainly for skateboards...I hate taking my car skating cuz everyone throws their **** in my trunk and it stresses me out, lulz
But i'll also be throwing my slicks up there on the way to the track, and my luggage on the way to the airport :]

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Mainly for skateboards...I hate taking my car skating cuz everyone throws their **** in my trunk and it stresses me out, lulz
But i'll also be throwing my slicks up there on the way to the track, and my luggage on the way to the airport :]

O wow gotcha, nice work. That's a good idea. I get nervous when stuffs in my trunk to and that will be awesome for luggage. Very clever crafty idea. Props!

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
One more question. What kind of weld did you use on that. Just curious. I'd say it would have to be a good solid weld job in order to protect the metal from the weather

Edit- just remembered you stated u were going to powdercoat it.

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Something I would be worried about would be wind noise. I have a Yakima Basketcase and the wind noise is pretty loud. Another thing I would think about would be the load balance. All that extra space in the back of the rack will make it sag over time; unless you brace it properly. From the pictures I cant tell what your welds look like or what size your metal is; but I would put a lot of time into making sure it is strong.

Other than that, I personally think its an incredibly creative design and I cant wait to see the final product!

MoneyPit

Reaction score
One more question. What kind of weld did you use on that. Just curious. I'd say it would have to be a good solid weld job in order to protect the metal from the weather

Edit- just remembered you stated u were going to powdercoat it.
It's a Hobart 110 wirefeed. Good for the little stuff :thumbsup:

damn man, thats pretty sick. and you skate too? lol, nice.

yessir, I've been skating for longer than I haven't, lol. you too? i still love that **** like i did when i was a grom

Something I would be worried about would be wind noise. I have a Yakima Basketcase and the wind noise is pretty loud. Another thing I would think about would be the load balance. All that extra space in the back of the rack will make it sag over time; unless you brace it properly. From the pictures I cant tell what your welds look like or what size your metal is; but I would put a lot of time into making sure it is strong.

Other than that, I personally think its an incredibly creative design and I cant wait to see the final product!

there will be little "feet" on the rear of the basket to give it more support for my slicks. the basket is built from 1/4" and 3/16" steel rod, and should be pretty tough once it's all done.

didn't even think about the wind thing, lol

sickkkkkkkkk. nice job, man

you like? lol. thanks mang

Back