Original Transmission RIP 8/10/2007

simplicity

Reaction score
So it finally happened to me.

My transmission gave out today. I was stuck out in the middle of nowhere for a whole day.

The car started slipping out of 4th and engaging random gears. I tried D3 it worked for a while then the same thing happened.

Pulled over. It was probably overheating I said to myself....

Started her up again and the CEL came on.... *@U(%&(!

so i slowly drove in 1st gear to the next exit.

She's now at some honda dealership...
question is...

What should I expect for a reman tranny from the dealer after labor?
I'm planning to sell the car after I repair it....trade it in probably...any suggestions? Should I still go to the dealer for the repair?

Is this also a one day deal?

Sorry if there are other threads on this *im sure there are* but i tried searching and im sorta still in shock from the trauma...:tumbleweed:

white beauty

Reaction score
welcome to the club man, im on my second tranny, and this ones slipping as well, gotta love warranties though, got my second tranny for free, but if urs isnt under warranty, the honda dealership i went to was gonna charge 4000 NOT INCLUDING LABOR, can someone say rip off, it took about a week to order the part, and a day to install, like osiriskidd said though, swap to a manual trans, ull save some money, and have a manual trans wich is 4729020738239 times beter, good luck

MikeyMike

Reaction score
welcome to the club man, im on my second tranny, and this ones slipping as well, gotta love warranties though, got my second tranny for free, but if urs isnt under warranty, the honda dealership i went to was gonna charge 4000 NOT INCLUDING LABOR, can someone say rip off, it took about a week to order the part, and a day to install, like osiriskidd said though, swap to a manual trans, ull save some money, and have a manual trans wich is 4729020738239 times beter, good luck

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to swap out a mt to a j30 your lookin at like (new tranny)6-7,000 used 4500-6000 to get it working right.. reman tranny is gona run u prob around 3500-4000 from a dealer w/ 12 month 12,000 mile warentee.( i would know, i used 3 of them.. but not im swappin out for 6spd since i figure a clutch every 2 years for $800 is better then a tranny every 2 years for 3500)

my .02

white beauty

Reaction score
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to swap out a mt to a j30 your lookin at like (new tranny)6-7,000 used 4500-6000 to get it working right.. reman tranny is gona run u prob around 3500-4000 from a dealer w/ 12 month 12,000 mile warentee.( i would know, i used 3 of them.. but not im swappin out for 6spd since i figure a clutch every 2 years for $800 is better then a tranny every 2 years for 3500)

my .02

sorry, i totally just figured u had an I4, since u have a V6 itll be cheaper to just go with a rebuilt auto

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
sorry, i totally just figured u had an I4, since u have a V6 itll be cheaper to just go with a rebuilt auto

well it might cost quite a bit more right now to do a 6spd swap on the v6's but i think its worth it in the long run.... mostly because of all the problems people have had with rebuilt autos even from the dealerships.....they just dont last long for anything..its absurd how ****ty the auto tranny's are..

just my
twocents.gif

Last edited:

simplicity

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys...the car isn't really worth much anymore...with the money I will need to fork out for a fix I might be lucky to get $2,000 out of the sale, so spending money on a tranny swap is definitely out the window.

I think I'm done with Hondas...surprisingly my mom's 2001 I4 Accord drives silky smooth....

I'll try my luck with Honda Care on Monday to see if they can "good will" the parts...I was quoted ~$2000 for reman tranny and $785 for labor.

After I fix this I plan to trade it in in a few months...so sad I hate to see my car go...had this thru thin and thick....10 yrs... :(

dynasty

Reaction score
i don't think you should trade it. after you fix it, you have a brand new tranny and it could probably last longer. i'm on 150k+ and barely have any problem with my tranny. then again, i don't really floor it all the time. i know my limits so that's why my tranny is still strong. when i first got the car, the dealership agrees to replace the tranny to a brand new one if we buy it. so we got it for a pretty good deal. after that, our tranny haven't had any problems. hope you make the right decision. good luck.

osiriskidd

Reaction score
if you're gonna fix the tranny, you might as well keep the car. in that case then, make it a manual and have fun with the car. yea it'll cost a bit more, but it's just trade-off value. our cars are next to worthless these days.

Latest posts

Back