Overheating issue

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
My 99 ex sedan (stock f23) is overheating everytime i put the car in park and let it idle the temperature needle starts going wayyy up even when im at a red light and the car is not moving the needle goes up..... then when i start driving again it goes back down to regular temperature. to me it sounds like a water pump but have any of you guys had a similar issue? (cooling fan working)

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Could be a water pump, but you should make sure the cooling fans comes on when you're not moving.

If the cooling fan doesn't work, I'd looking into the fan itself or the coolant temperature sensor.

When was the last time the thermostat was changed? Get an OEM one, it's a great peace of mind $30 part.

jwong512

Reaction score
Have you ever done a coolant flush before on your car? Maybe your coolant is just getting dirty and isn't doing it's job anymore. Check your pumps as well to make sure that there aren't any leaks.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
the cooling fan is working properly not only did i hear it when it goes on but i popped the hood and it was on and im guessing if the fan is working then the temperature sensor is also because thats what gives the signal for the fan to operate. and i just bought the car so i have no idea when the thermostat was changed im gonna call the last owner now to ask them.

Last edited:

f23accord2000

Reaction score
i was going to ask that too any coolant? also make sure there is no leaks, how many miles on it ? i would change out the thermostat its a 10 dollar part if that and two bolts change it up make sure its a 180 degree thermostat one. its very easy to change if that doesn't work make sure the coolant is good and get it flushed out so its a 50/50 mix. then go from there sounds like the thermostat isnt operating or the water pump but start from what i said first

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
I took my oil cap off today and I saw a milkshake on the inside of the cap so there goes the overheating problem... My headgasket is bad.

Reaction score
I had a similar problem. It was the head gasket. I also had a major exhaust leak. There was some sort of bypass causing my whole engine compartment to get dangerously hot.
Even though you found the problem and hopefully fixed it, be sure that the temp is running dead in the middle and not above that. A cool engine is a happy engine.
Sometimes I run my air blower on max and heat all the way up if I am doing a continuous run with my friends. Just make sure that AC light isn't on. Good luck. :boink:

Back