Overheating!!

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Okay, so for the past few months, my car has had a problem with overheating :furious: Sofar what I've done was flush the coolant and ran a cleaner through the cooling system then replaced it with some new coolant. The problem is that when I idle for a little while, the coolant starts steaming out of the overflow reservoir and if I pop the hood it sounds like the coolant inside the reservoir is boiling as steam comes out of the cap. Usually, when steam starts coming out of the reservoir, my temp gauge shows normal operating temp :thinking: so i'm not sure what that means .. But today it was different. While I was driving today, I saw the temp gauge start creeping up so I turned on my heater as I usually do, but this time it didn't help. The temp gauge just kept creeping up, so I decided to pull over. When I pulled over, the coolant reservoir was not bubbling or anything, and it didn't feel hot at all. So I got back in the car and started it, and the temp gauge read normal again. I drove for maybe a half of a mile and it started creeping up again, so I turned on the heater again. I noticed that the heater didn't feel hot, instead it was just warm. Then all of a sudden, it blasted hot air, and the temp gauge started to go down. After about a minute more of driving, it started heating up again, but I was luckily near my work so I could just pull into the parking lot and freak out without having my car on.

So now, what would cause it to act this way ? I think I'm out of coolant, but I'm not sure as there's nothing in the reservoir. Also, why would the coolant boil and steam out of the reservoir ?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
sounds like the water pump is going out

i'm assuming the fans kick in..?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
There are a few things that could cause that. Your Rad. cap is likely bad, when mine did the boiling off thing I replaced the cap and it fixed the problem. There also may be an air bubble in the coolant system as well.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Oh sorry, I don't know if my fans turn on lol. They do turn on when the AC is on. I *thought* I had my water pump replaced when I did my 100k tune up .. But who knows if he did it or not :( How would I find out ? Also, how would I find out for sure that the radiator cap is busted ?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
The cap is cheap so personally I'd just replace it. It's hard to explain how to check it but the little rubber circle on the cap is supposed to stick to you finger if you touch it then lift you finger away.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Thank you, I will definitely get a new one. Now, my coolant is all gone. I can use water for now until the end of the week until I can get more coolant right ? Lol.
EDIT: Do our cars need 16psi caps or 7psi ? I have a Haynes manual, but I'm at work :(

Last edited:
Back