p1381

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
ive been having this issue for awhile now and my car isnt running well. I have no low end power and going up hills is a struggle. I want this fixed asap. I did some research and I was wondering if my issue was a bad distributor. or what else could it possibly be?

Chris Vu

Reaction score
The code refers to "Cylinder Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption'.
The code will appear if the ECM (computer) running the engine and monitoring the Cylinder Position Sensor inside the distributer lost, or is losing its data from the connector. The typical causes are:

-Corroded electrical terminals leading to the distributer

-Defective or weak Ignition coil

-missing or incorrectly installed ignition coil shield

-alternator diodes or regulator failing causing irregular line noise

-damaged sensor wire (usually yellow with a purple jacket where shielding begins.

-Defective ECM or PCM

-Faulty Cylinder Position Sensor.

Troubleshoot by:

1. Make sure all battery connections are secure and free of corrosion.

2. Alternator reacts well to an increase in load. Be sure the RPM does not drop significantly when accessories are turned on and good clean voltage is emitted from the alternator.

3. The CYP sensor should be tested for 880 ohms or better. Replacements are not available without the purchase of a distributer. The wire to this sensor is usually yellow.

4. Be sure all distrbuter wiring is free of any damage (knicks, cuts, kinks, cracks)

5. Verify distrbuter cap and rotor are in good condition and no evidence of arcing or debris exists inside the distributer.

6. Trace yellow wire from distributer to PCM/ECM. Disconnect harness from PCM and distributer and check for continuity from distributer connector and PCM harness connector. Connection should not be lost if the wire is moved around.

7. PCM/ECM may be at fault if the above do not yield a definitive cause.

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
The code refers to "Cylinder Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption'.
The code will appear if the ECM (computer) running the engine and monitoring the Cylinder Position Sensor inside the distributer lost, or is losing its data from the connector. The typical causes are:

-Corroded electrical terminals leading to the distributer

-Defective or weak Ignition coil

-missing or incorrectly installed ignition coil shield

-alternator diodes or regulator failing causing irregular line noise

-damaged sensor wire (usually yellow with a purple jacket where shielding begins.

-Defective ECM or PCM

-Faulty Cylinder Position Sensor.

Troubleshoot by:

1. Make sure all battery connections are secure and free of corrosion.

2. Alternator reacts well to an increase in load. Be sure the RPM does not drop significantly when accessories are turned on and good clean voltage is emitted from the alternator.

3. The CYP sensor should be tested for 880 ohms or better. Replacements are not available without the purchase of a distributer. The wire to this sensor is usually yellow.

4. Be sure all distrbuter wiring is free of any damage (knicks, cuts, kinks, cracks)

5. Verify distrbuter cap and rotor are in good condition and no evidence of arcing or debris exists inside the distributer.

6. Trace yellow wire from distributer to PCM/ECM. Disconnect harness from PCM and distributer and check for continuity from distributer connector and PCM harness connector. Connection should not be lost if the wire is moved around.

7. PCM/ECM may be at fault if the above do not yield a definitive cause.

youre the man! I really appreciate your response. by any chance do you know the most common or most likely cause of the code of the possible issues of which you have listed?

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
oh by the way I had a question regarding testing the resistance between the two terminals. am I supposed to unplug the 4-pin connector at the distributor and test the resistance at the wiring harness or at the connector on the distributor itself. because I testex it at the wiring harness and I got a reading of about 250. but the thing is is when I put the leads on the terminals it reads for about a split second and then goes away untik I lift one of the leads on my multimeter and put it back to the terminal. am I testing it wrong?

Back