p1456 CEL code. help

qwerty101

Reaction score
hey guys this code came up a while back and i know its evap system. but exactly what can it be? would i need to get a new gas cap cause its not holding the right amount of pressure inside? cause whenever i unscrew the cap to get more gas it unscrews pretty quick (like hald a turn) and i hear not air what so ever unpressurizing.(do not if thats soposed to be normal or not)ive been getting 18-19 mpg and i drive like a grandma haha. any suggestions would help! the code is p1456...

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
Could be the gas cap (hopefully.)
Also (I am plagiarizing this from JimBlake over on HondaAccordForum.com):
Check the gasket of your gas cap, & look for cracked hoses alongside the fuel fill pipe in the rear wheel well. You might have to remove a cover panel...

Other possibilities include a dozen vacuum hoses down around the gas tank, as well as a pressure sensor for the gas tank. Even a gasket for the fuel pump flange, where it bolts into the tank; but if that were leaking you'd probably smell gasoline around the car.

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
If I were you? Most definitely. Gas cap should be cheap and will wear out over time anyway. If the gas cap doesn't work, then try the above suggestions.

[email protected].

Reaction score
I had that same code, and let it go for close to two years, until my emission test came up and had to fix it. Autozone read the code, and they sold me a gas cap, which did nothing. But it's a good place to start. My mileage never went down, and the car ran fine, so I put it off as long as I could.

After reading a ton, it looked like the cannister shut valve was the first thing to try. And that's what it was. $50 online. The only hard part was removing the old valve from the cannister (which is under the car in front of the driver's rear wheel- looks sorta like a shoe box) The valve is held on by two screws, the inserts are in the cannister, and they were rusted and had to be drilled out.

Let us know how it turns out.

Back