Painted front lip and it doesn't match the bumper

factorviii

Reaction score
My car's color code is taffeta white, I bought the duplicolor paint and painted my front lip(using adhesion promoter beforehand)
I just finished the first coat and took the lip out to the car to compare the color. The new paint is really bright compared to my bumper :(
I'm wondering if the lip will get more yellow when I put the clear coat on?

Is there anything I can do about this? I thought about maybe sanding down the bumper with 1200 grit paper which might remove some of the oxidation.

I don't expect a perfect match for home painting, but I was hoping it would be closer.

Last edited:

Darianjr1

Reaction score
How long ago was it since your car was painted its not going to match unless you paint the whole car at the same time. And its not oem paint that came from the dealer either

factorviii

Reaction score
How long ago was it since your car was painted its not going to match unless you paint the whole car at the same time. And its not oem paint that came from the dealer either

most likely 12 years -_-

Chris Vu

Reaction score
It's definitely not going to match if you just got some dupicolor paint. You could always try some compound on your car to get some of the color back from your paint ..

truWarier02

Reaction score
Of course it's not going to match. There's 12 years of wear on that paint. Your best bet is to do a deep detailing job to try and get your car's paint to pop a bit more.

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
My paint isn't perfect and I painted my front lip, the outcome and the color matched pretty well for a rattle can.

I bought the paint from automotivetouchup.com.

A 12oz can of base and clear coat is good enough.

factorviii

Reaction score
It's definitely not going to match if you just got some dupicolor paint. You could always try some compound on your car to get some of the color back from your paint ..

polishing compound?

I'm also wondering if there's any way I can get the clear coat on my lip to dry more yellow? maybe applying heat while its drying?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
heat would be a bad idea.

Read up on some detailing, but for a basic restoration you would:

wash
claybar
swirl remover (ultra fine buffing compound)
wash
wax
polish

And it might lighten up white paint depending on the condition of your paint.

I've tried duplicolor 'matched' paint before and wasn't real happy, but the clear did alter the final color so you could get lucky. I've heard great stuff about paintscratch.com, but haven't tried yet. I know they require the color code & VIN to get a match for my Signet Silver Metallic, so I'm hoping for better results than duplicolor.

Narftastic

Reaction score
Some colors are very very hard to match even a pro could have trouble matching white red ect...

I guess just do what was sayd before with clay bar polish ect...

I personally spray painted my lip with a primer from Home Depot, gold Honda duplicolor and the cheapest clear coat I could find.. Mine came out fine.

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, Consider detailing the bumper to better match the fresh painted lip.

ie. wash/clay/polishing compound/wax/

Back