painted my calipers...........AGAIN!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
you can use a brass brush and clear out the caliper from the dust. and there goes your silver. haha. i did it to my 4runner and it looks WAY better than those dust on it. even though it turns dark again. :mad:
Alumminum will oxidize. Paint will as well but much more slowly. So even if you want your calipers to look like fresh alluminum, aluminum paint is still a good way to go unless you like scuffing (or polishing) your calipers. Plus it's much easier to clean.

blindside

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
you can use a brass brush and clear out the caliper from the dust. and there goes your silver. haha. i did it to my 4runner and it looks WAY better than those dust on it. even though it turns dark again. :mad:

That reminds me... i think my silver caliper had turn into dark silver (mixed with silver and black dust) hehehehe i better check them calipers later

shavedaccord

Reaction score
should be able to clean them up with some rubbing compound. Bronze would be nice if you get something similar to that dupont bronze wheel paint

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
hmmmm, any of you guys ever see on v6p about some guys having polished stock intake manifolds on their v6's by sanding them? sooo that just got me thinking. polished front calipers with of course, engine paint clear coat on them. hmmmmmm, maybe a little too blingy, but could look nice.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I have a feeling that would involve a **** load more work than an intake manifold..then again I havent seen/heard of anyone doing it

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
shavedaccord said:
I have a feeling that would involve a **** load more work than an intake manifold..then again I havent seen/heard of anyone doing it

well, they look to be about the same type of metal and stuff. like the rawness of the two objects. and to tell you the truth, i think calipers would be a sh!t load easier to do then the v6 IM, cuz of all the curves and small spaces in it. i think Kiet on v6p has done it. it took him a while, cuz you gotta sand it and slowly work up to the higher grit sand papers. and sometimes he used a dremmel is some hard places.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
lol i'd half *** the manifold really..i'd polish the parts that are viewable with the engine covers on..I just figured the calipers would be harder because the metal is much darker I don't know if that would make a difference or not

talontsiawd

Reaction score
You can polish calipers. It's doable for sure. But if you are doing it by hand, it's going to take probably 5-6 hours per caliper. Then add how much time it will take to take off the calipers, rebuild them when you are done, and put it back on. The reason i suggest rebuilding them is you will get alot of dust in them, and the dust is aluminum so your piston could easily sieze. And i probably wouldn't recommend regular off the shelf clearcoat on polished aluminum. It can look really bad. I'd powdercoat them instead. So unless you plan on buying an extra set, i don't really recommend it.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
talontsiawd said:
You can polish calipers. It's doable for sure. But if you are doing it by hand, it's going to take probably 5-6 hours per caliper. Then add how much time it will take to take off the calipers, rebuild them when you are done, and put it back on. The reason i suggest rebuilding them is you will get alot of dust in them, and the dust is aluminum so your piston could easily sieze. And i probably wouldn't recommend regular off the shelf clearcoat on polished aluminum. It can look really bad. I'd powdercoat them instead. So unless you plan on buying an extra set, i don't really recommend it.

man, no offense or anything, im not tryning to be mean or w/e, but after you take the wheel off, i could have a caliper completely off your car and dissassembled in prolly less then 5 minutes. theyre easy to take off and apart. theirs like 2 main parts, other then pads, and its the caliper and the holder thing. and yea, id buy an extra set to do, haha, otherwise thatd be a big project for one day, haha.

Last edited:
Back