Painted Vinyl Seats?!?

Atreidies

Reaction score
So, some of you know that I recently picked up a CRX for a project. I have been prowling my local Craig'slist for finds and deals. Just Friday, I picked up a recently rebuilt SI tranny with a welded diff (it's not gonna be a daily, will rarely be on the street, so don't even start on the welded diff mess), everything I need for auto-manual swap, and 2 reupholstered SI seats. All for $250!! CL FTMFW!!!!111!!!!

Anywho, The seats were a really lame, dingy yellow.

I scrubbed them down with soapy water to get most of the crap off, but I was NEVER going to install yellow seats in my ride.

I went on down to the local O'reilly :rly: and picked up some Duplicolor Vinyl and Cloth Paint. Charcoal Gray and Flat Black. Also Got a can of Grease and Wax Remover.

This was the first step
P1000082.jpg

Then I masked up the center section with blue painter's tape. You can get it at any Home Depot/Lowes. I really took the time to make sure I got it down in the seams so I wouldn't have any over spray. Then I used the ads that come in the mail to cover the rest of the center. Then came the flat black. Looks glossy b/c it's still wet, but has the same finish as the gray when dry.
P1000084.jpg

Apparently, I put the tape on the gray too soon b/c it pulled it up in 3 spots when I removed it.
P1000085.jpg

P1000086.jpg

I let everything dry then masked the black and resprayed the gray, but my camera is dead, so no pics.

Overall, I think it turned out pretty well. I am posting this so anyone thinking about this will see how easy it is. This paint works on fabric too. A buddy of mine had some sun faded carpet in his EG and used this to re-color it. It looks brand new. Cheap fix for cheap seats, it retains the grain, doesn't harden the vinyl/fabric, and they have 8 or 9 different colors, so you could really go with a few different options as far as paint schemes.

kn0x47

Reaction score
looks a lot better but i've always been iffy about spray painting seats. let us know how it holds up

accord786

Reaction score
looks a lot better but i've always been iffy about spray painting seats. let us know how it holds up

my rides an ex and they "were" sexy leather blacks seats!! the idiot < ( :puke: ) who owned it before me jacked thm up and i had to spray paint thm they are holding up fine just to much extra shine lol :sad:

Atreidies

Reaction score
Yeah, the flat black still has a little shine to it, so I couldn't imagine the glossy black looks good.

Accord786 - You should try respraying with the flat black. It will bring the shine down some.

Knox47 - I have used the vinyl paint on a steering wheel before. It soaks into the top layer. That's why you still get the "grain" effect, whereas regular paint will cover/fill the grain. Once it's cured, the vinyl is effectively dyed.

accord786

Reaction score
Yeah, the flat black still has a little shine to it, so I couldn't imagine the glossy black looks good.

Accord786 - You should try respraying with the flat black. It will bring the shine down some.

Knox47 - I have used the vinyl paint on a steering wheel before. It soaks into the top layer. That's why you still get the "grain" effect, whereas regular paint will cover/fill the grain. Once it's cured, the vinyl is effectively dyed.

hahaha man i used flat black also but i guess i over sprayed lolz

Atreidies

Reaction score
looks good, i would have never thought someone would paint it yellow.

Even worse - He had them reupholstered in yellow vinyl. FAIL. It worked out ok for me though. Nobody wanted yellow seats, so they were really cheap.

Accord786 - It's probably because you applied the paint to leather and not vinyl. The paint is made for synthetic materials, not the real deal. I'm sure it still looks better than when you first got them though.

Back