Painting calipers / cleaning up rotors ?

yellowfever

Reaction score
as for getting the caliper off it can be a pain the ***, if you have air tools then just got for it its only two bolts but if you dont then i hope you have a breaker bar that will fit cause omg those two bolts can be a "you know what".

f23accord2000

Reaction score
after getting them off use lots and lots of caliper grease all over the slides and the bolt going threw it will help next time when doing a brake service and also when doing the rotors use anticease best **** in the world

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I used duplicolor caliper paint on my calipers, i have a review in the review section if you are interested. As for the rust on the rotors, what i did was thinned the caliper paint a bit, put it on a rag and went over any rusty spots. I like it because it doesn't look "painted" but the rust is far less evident.

6genaccord

Reaction score
my car is very ceased... but I was surprised my caliper bolts were quite easy to get off. Perhaps because I loosened them while they were hot from driving, not from a torch.

I was also interested in painting my caliper black...Can I use barbeque paint? Is that high temp enough? I would think, however, maybe bbq's don't get as hot as brakes lol.

rman402

Reaction score
I used engine enamel paint because it was cheaper than the caliper paint and it worked fine. I have not seen any fading yet and its been over 4 months

YoungxNutkase

Reaction score
i painted my calipers and rotors before with the dupicolor kit...i used a rust remover and sand paper to remove the rust and used the the cleaning spray that came with the kit., came out really smooth but the paint on rotor melted off after a day but it melted pretty clean....but the center part where the lugs are located didnt melt off....but on the edges of the rotor still have some melted paint on it since in slides down so like a fool a cleaned with some paint remover forgetting to wash it off and drove my car right after that which it flick off some dots of paint on my fender...still havent try to remove it yet, heard the best way is to use a clay bar...but dont make the same mistake as me and use some paint that could take the heat for the rotors

cliffsta

Reaction score
Well I bought new rotors, so all I need to do is paint my callipers. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a silver engine enamel, since it would be very high-heat. Weather is kinda crappy and my weekends have been uber-busy as of late, so, yeah.

i7believe

Reaction score
I replaced all 4 rotors and calipers by myself cuz stock ones were too rusty. It rained hard for like 3 days and after the rain, new rotors and calipers are rusted again. WTF!!!

If you just want to paint the calipers, then don't take it off. You don't wanna go through the pain.. Since I do not have proper garage or nice tools like others, i jacked my car up and worked on it one by one. it took me forever and those damn nuts r tightened as hell. oh and u need to bleed the brakes too if u take the brake line off.

Just use some painting tape to protect other area and paint.. probably easier that way

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I replaced all 4 rotors and calipers by myself cuz stock ones were too rusty. It rained hard for like 3 days and after the rain, new rotors and calipers are rusted again. WTF!!!
Rotors rust lol. They have nothing from preventing rust. Unless you get ones that have coating. Pretty much any stock replacement rotal will rust instantly after it gets wet. The only reason they don't come rustly is the fact that they are coated, that's why you clean them before you put them on. It's normal and does not affect braking.

6genaccord

Reaction score
Ok so I just bought new rotors and as said above they rusted after 2 days of rain. So I took the rotors off, sprayed everything black with the BBQ paint. The outer perimeter of the rotor and the inside is now coated black and so is the hub. The brakes took off the paint on the surface of the rotor and it looks like the store bought coated rotors.

While I was at it I took a metal bristle brush and got the rust off the caliper... I'll be honest I did a half *** job of getting the rust off. sprayed them while they were still on the rotor without disconnecting the brake line. Everything looks great and has held up alot better then I thought. I'll be posting pictures of the new wheels soon and I'll include the caliper/rotor.

Anyway it's been a week of constant driving to school and work and there hasn't been any melting or chipping or fading. in fact I tried chipping the caliper today while putting in new break pads and its solid.

If you're gonna spray them its easy.

Back