Painting my 2000 SE rims (black w/ polished lip)

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score
So I have been tossing up the idea of painting these for a long time now, I like the look of them stock so much, but i figured its time for something fresh so I built up the desire and went for it...

First of all, I had to get inspired, and I wanted to know if it would look good... time for microsoft paint at 4 am!
24wsw0g.jpg

Well I think that looked awesome so I went for it. I didnt take enough pics and im not good enough to make a DIY so im posting in here... All pics are on my cell phone so they arent the best

Have to clean the rims:
2eusos5.jpg

Nice and shiny:
1q0d2t.jpg

Taped off:
9ssakz.jpg

Good enough paint for the backside:
oswfvk.jpg

The back...I sanded it with 100 grit to help remove road debris then 320 before spraying:
4hv0d3.jpg

Front stock vs primer... I sanded some major scuffs with 100 grit then the whole thing with 320:
25tf7ti.jpg

Now for the good stuff:
30rxymc.jpg

Getting black! I used a light coat then 3 heavier coats in 10-15 min intervals, followed by 3 coats of clear, before the last coat I put the valve stem cap back on and the center cap in place:
96dbac.jpg

Haha so I just though this looked awesome after I sprayed:
aep6hi.jpg

Finished product! After I peeled the tape I used a razor to fine tune the black/polished edge and gave the whole thing another coat of clear to protect that edge:
swb9g9.jpg

New next to old... Its weird I think the black makes them look smaller:
sngwwl.jpg

Two wheels done, two to go:
13yfk2x.jpg

On the second rim I tried peeling the tape before clearing it, since I wanted to spray clear on the black/polished edge anyway, and the paint had tiny little chips come up(almost not noticeable but i want these as perfect as possible) so I think im going to stick to the way I did it on the first rim. It was raining all day and I didnt get to take pics of them on the car but they look sick. Im painting the other two tomorrow and probably my drums and calipers just because I can so more pics then. So far I have $18 invested in this project but it isnt looking like the paint will make it through 2 more rims. It sucks to have to buy two more cans though just to only need like 1/4 out of each can, but oh well that makes $30 for basically brand new rims. Let me know what you all think!

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
the reason they look smaller is because the polished lip on the black wheels since they are already small wheels. Looks nice tho good job.

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
I would of left them alone or maybe just did them all black, the job looks great but since they are so small I would of left them all black if I had to paint them just my 2cents. None the less much props post pics once they are installed.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
I painted my stockies all black and made the center caps black with a green H looks cool but tiny rims are still tiny rims :coffee: I want some of these in either 17 or 18
s2kandnsxongoldworkvsxx.jpg

tnguyen600

Reaction score
looks nice man, personally, I would've had them power coated. With paint, no matter how careful you are, it'll chip, be it poor work, paint quality, or rocks from driving.

Back