peculiar setup advice wanted

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
so here it is: i have a sub, 2 amps, and an audiocontrol epicenter in my trunk. i'll be getting rid of those hopefully ASAP and will be moving to a PG Rsd 10" with 2 new amps, preferably matching...possibly also PG.

here's the problem with my car...i cant put anything on the passenger side of the trunk. my sub box has not been moved to any other place in the trunk in 3.5 years and the front corner is warped from the trunk leaking. SO the entire passenger side is eliminated from my possible setup.

my sub is currently in the driver's side corner. ive tried:
-passenger side, up against the rear seats, firing towards trunk. ideal response
-drivers side rear corner, firing into the trunk sideways and into the corner. good response for "electronic" music but terrible for classic rock which is what i listen to most.

the PG sub will be requiring a similar-sized box to what i have now (1 cu ft) and the amps will be about the same size.

what would be a creative way to mount everything on the driver's side? the little tray in the corner is off-limits since the trunk leaks there too but not as bad. i was thinking of using the spare tire well for the epicenter and front amp BUT i would like the tire to be accessible. and i DONT want the sub in the driver's side rear corner.

i wouldn't be opposed to making a false floor and "wall" behind the seats but the large box would make that "wall" stick out too far, getting in the way of the trunk hinges. at the very least, i want the amps and box to be secured somehow. i'm also 75% sure i want the amps hidden...100% sure i want the epicenter hidden.

where is a good place to drill into/mount an amp rack and sub that won't destroy my trunk's liners? i do want to keep the re-sale value of the car as high as possible. i have no rear speakers so that frees up some room.

it would get carpeted to match the trunk...im not down with crazy fiberglass show setups. my spare tire needs to be easy to take out.

halp :jealousbow:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
considered it...very linear response which is what i'm looking for...

i'm just not sure about sealing the trunk since I'm not going to drill (m)any holes in the plastic-carpet liner things. ill have to do some more looking inside the trunk and decide. i would like to do it, and it would be quite ideal.

finch13

Reaction score
Could make a shallow box and attach it to the underside of the rear deck...

Or... make a new box, mount it in where the old one was but paint it with concrete water sealer or deck water seal and then use marine carpet?

A 1 cu. ft. box is nothing big... what's stopping you from putting it right behind the rear seat in the trunk where most people put them? Then you could just get some eyehooks and secure the box to the trunk with rope/chain/cable...

Is the JD tray off limits or are you talking about the little storage pocket thing on the driver side? I think you could get a tall, shallow box to fit there, but the depth of the sub is a concern. What are the dimensions and volume requirements for it?

It wouldn't hurt to remove the trunk panels and see what you have to work with behind them, then they couldn't get destroyed either...

You've kinda limited your own options here being all picky and what not... :thumbup:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
being picky is one of my best and worst virtues :lawl: it makes me hard to deal with but in the end i think i'm more satisfied for it...

mounting it to the rear deck might be too heavy for the metal...ideally it would be attached to the floor as well. the box i have now is like velcro, the pile is so thick it doesnt slide.

the box warped from where it was sitting...its hard to describe without pics...you know the "ledge" where the fuel pump sits? then it kind of angles down where the spare tire well is? the stock floor is all bowed in and the box was at an angle downwards and that corner was on a higher spot where the ledge extends around the rear shock tower.

the JD tray gets water in it when it rains...just a little but still enough to sway me away from putting electronics in that area. the "pocket" behind it gets wet as well, i assume. the wrench tray on the passenger side has been filled to the top with water numerous times, and my tool bag (right next to the shock tower) has been drenched many a time. and plus...that corner provides bad sub response. if i listed to "machine made" music it would be perfect...

the trunk liner is one giant piece...i wonder if there's a way to replace it with carpet, use the stock holes, and secure it with clips like the bumpers use...

let me dig for the sub's specs...OH and let me check my trunk since it rained last night...i wanna see how wet it got...

finch13

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd replace the trunk weather strip before doing the install... if you've narrowed it down to that. $40-50 from a dealer, TAS probably has/can get it cheaper.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
hokay...after doing some more research...i've read that the PG Rsd10 is better in .6-1 cu ft boxes, but now i see some people recommending .5 :ugh: wtf

the Rsd's look to be good on the bottom end but i want more hit. looking at the Rsd10C, they seem to be more "aggressive" with a bigger surround but supposedly can use a really small box. issue with them is that they have a lot of bottom end like the xenons, which i'm not looking for.

some links:
http://phoenixphorum.com/rsd-10-mini-review-vt256.html
http://phoenixphorum.com/thiele-sma...y-paste-for-winisd-vt7549.html?highlight=rsdc
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diy-mobile-audio/31300-id10-vs-idq-vs-11ov-2-vs-rsd10-vs.html
http://phpbb3.phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3506
http://phoenixphorum.com/zpa-running-12delite-vt2012.html?view=previous

there's no particular reason to use the Rsd's other than they're reported to be good and are DIRT cheap right now. and you can overpower the hell out of them :lawl: i'm thinking 500RMS should be sufficient :lawl:

the IDQ's are reported to be very good, but they would break the budget. ideally i would like to use as little power as possible but there's just not that much "ooomph" behind low-powered subs.

this post pretty much sums up where i am now...going between sealed (in a somewhat large box) and IB. for IB, I'm thinking i'll need 2 but maybe not...

the JD tray had a bit of water in it from last night, the wrench tray was dry. its not the trunk seal that leaks...in the "front" corners of the trunk on top right under PB...my paint is all cracked which lets water leak back towards the tail lights. midway to the rear, there is a body seam on both sides under the seal. the water comes in through those seams :squintrun: silicone slowed the water down but didnt solve it. i'll have to take the trunk off and repaint the trunk channel area. already have plenty of bodywork yet to do :sad:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
hmmm...kinda trying to stay away from 12s even though the IB mantra is "more cone area."

right now...considering one (MAYBE two) DLS OA10 or two OA8 if i can find some in the US. primarily considering a rear deck mounting with pass throughs using the 6x9 cutouts. id have to go look at the bottom and measure, cause its possible id have to remove the trunks torsion bars and go with a strut to hold it up (or something similar).

IBs looking good but some work is required...but nothing cosmetic would have to be touched which appeals to me. although im betting all the sealing that comes with it will be a bitch...

Back