peculiar setup advice wanted

AccordFlex

Reaction score
What exactly is your price range to do an audio setup. (sub and amp)

I think you would really like the Ascendant Audio Havoc. Amazing on music.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i guess my last post here didnt go through...dammit...

i would like to work in the 400-500 watt range for the sub so i can keep my MA for now, that is, if the sub and/or enclosure is expensive. i can only see spending like $150 on a sub right now cause theres so many options under that price like Dayton HO's and Titanics. the PG deal right now is almost too good to pass up for something to mess around with or swap into my HT's sub box...$45 for an Rsd10 or $60 for a Rsd10c.

the havocs look amazing but probably too much for the budget and needs. 40lbs and 30mm Xmax is...mmmm...massive :run:

the AA assassins look good and ive read positive things about them. dual 8s or a single 10 in a sealed box might be the way to go since theyre rated for 250rms/per. shaking the block was cool a few years ago for me...now i just want good sound without much futzing...

i measured earlier tonight...8" drivers from the rear deck isn't going to happen easily enough for me to do it. sooooo...IB using the ski pass through (although i dont want it open and dont want to open it every time i drive) OR a small sealed box with a 1 cube max volume. the 8" assassins take .25-.5 per driver, so that would be perfect to squeeze up against the seats...

i got pics up of everything but i'll link em tomorrow since my last reply didnt work :squintrun:

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i think i'm 75% decided on an RE Audio SE10D2 and building a custom box/wall thinger if i dont **** it up somehow.

if i dont suck at sketchup i'll post some designs when i get a chance to mess with it. or i may scan the paper i've been drawing on.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
basic shape so far...i think. i really need to take everything out of the trunk to do some measuring of angles.

been playing in sketchup for about 15 minutes...never used a CAD program before.

the sub will be off to one side in case i want to add another later :jarred:

i'm still going to mess with modeling the inside, and refine the edges since the back (angled) and top are going to be recessed behind the face and sides of the box. kinda hard to describe.

picture.php

inside design...the top and rear of box is not yet completed. im thinking about building the box inside the bigger enclosure, if you will. since the bigger enclosure is going to go from shock tower to shock tower, that is a huge space so i will need to cut it down somehow to hit .64 cu ft...dont worry...there will be bracing inside...its not just going to attach to the face.

another option i'm thinking of is lowering the sub all the way to the bottom which would make the lower bracing shorter and give me more room up top and i could build "shelves" for holding stuff like amps. to do this, though, i'd make a "cover" for the front so that the sub could not be seen. still undecided. but i think the best place for the amps will be right on the back of the box, at least for short ground runs.

picture.php

EDIT: so far, this is being designed to fit on that little flat spot in the trunk where the fuel pump is located. not looking for the added weight of a false floor, unless i make it out of 1/2" birch. either way, it can be integrated in later if i choose.

rear of the box with the top and back panels brought down over the sub's box...dont look at the lines...look at the shape LOL
picture.php

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
ok...PG RSd10 is in the mail. that should hold me over till after the chi-town meet and i can decide if i like it or not.

here's what I'm going to do which will be much lighter than the previous v1 design. let's call this v2. same principle, but smaller scale.

this will be fitting in that open space in back of the rear seats, basically taking up that opening.

the rear is the angled part and i didn't put a "wall" on that side yet.

my brain is already smoldering from all this math :ugh:

picture.php

moar!

i'm going to center the sub on the box on the front face:
picture.php

and integrate the sub into the bigger enclosure, making it simpler and lighter...just imagine the rear panel isn't there but one covering the rear is.
picture.php

enclosure measurements:
9 1/8" H (size of the sub's cutout diameter...or i might raise adjust the panels)
20 1/2 W
7" D1
10 3/4" D2
3/4" board size

nets a .618 cu ft box, plus sub displacement around .14 cu ft gives me the volume i'm looking for.

Last edited:
Back