Photography Shoutbox

finch13

Reaction score
LOL...

So... I've been looking for a new lens... around the $700 range and here's what I've come up with...

Canon 70-200mm f/4L
Canon 17-40mm f/4L
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5

All are within $50 of each other.

I'm really leaning towards the 17-40L... it just seems to suite my style more. I really don't think I'd shoot anything wider than 17mm often enough to justify spending 7 bills on a UWA... I'm not a lazy photographer, if I can get close to my subject I do it, instead of slapping on the 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 and zooming...

Both the other lenses have their perks, especially the 70-200 for the reach at f/4...

I do need to find something to replace the 18-55 I had to give away... 17-85 IS + 70-200L, then sell the 28-300 for some cash towards the 17-85 (or 18-55 IS)

Right now I think the 70-200 sounds like the best bet... and have the best overall usability. The only thing is that I can already cover the focal range with my Tamron, the only thing I'm paying for is stops and IQ.

Any opinions suggestions...?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
not gonna lie...and this isnt meant towards you cause everyone does it...but i just cant take it when people go through the effort of making the L red and bold...we know what the L means...its like an exclusive club or something...no one else has an L series oooooo...sorry...just had to rant...you know (or at least i hope by now) that im not directing my displeasure at one person when i rant except for certain people (lemon :lawl: )

ok...back on topic...heres what i would do:

*17-40 right now. the 40D has better high ISO than the 300D obviously so the IS will probably negligible...at least because you have to pay for IS...having it built into the body spoils me :lawl:
*50/1.8 for low light and everyone needs a 50 (already own)
*save up for the 70-200 down the road since you already have that covered with another lens, which can do for the moment.

shazaam...3 lenses to cover 17-200mm with f/4 being the slowest and no overlap (aka...losing speed) :hihi:

finch13

Reaction score
you want a 17-85 IS? we should talk. I have one to unload.

Possibly, but not until after CanAm... that gets the majority of my spending money in case something goes wrong on the way there/drink too much and offer to pick up everyones tab, etc...

not gonna lie...and this isnt meant towards you cause everyone does it...but i just cant take it when people go through the effort of making the L red and bold...we know what the L means...its like an exclusive club or something...no one else has an L series oooooo...sorry...just had to rant...you know (or at least i hope by now) that im not directing my displeasure at one person when i rant except for certain people (lemon :lawl: )

ok...back on topic...heres what i would do:

*17-40 right now. the 40D has better high ISO than the 300D obviously so the IS will probably negligible...at least because you have to pay for IS...having it built into the body spoils me :lawl:
*50/1.8 for low light and everyone needs a 50 (already own)
*save up for the 70-200 down the road since you already have that covered with another lens, which can do for the moment.

shazaam...3 lenses to cover 17-200mm with f/4 being the slowest and no overlap (aka...losing speed) :hihi:

I only went through the time once... and then copy/paste from there :lawl: I agree with what you said, and really only put it in there to differentiate from the EF-S and that it wasn't going to be a petty lens to buy, I got a "big boy" camera and I want to take full advantage of that.

The only thing that irritates me about the 17-40 is that I know that the 18-55 has great IQ across the focal range for a fraction of the cost. I was out shooting yesterday and found the 50 to be quite a nuisance, but continued to use it for the speed.

The 28-300 is really disappointing me as of late, I use it for low light tripod shots a lot and the slowness combined with non-IS is really dropping my IQ. I'd like to get the 70-200 and ditch the 28-300, but I don't feel the extra 1.5 stops is really going to affect my speed enough that I won't have to change ISO.

I also don't want to drop $700 - $1200 on telephoto L glass if I'm not making money on my shots. I've gotten some great action shots at like ISO 100 1/30 relying on my skill only and I feel it's more important to educate and practice than to buy my way up to the top, which is the very reason I held on to the 300D forever.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
well...if you dont like the 50mm, may i suggest selling that and also not getting a wide zoom and instead picking up, say, a 35/2? i have considered this before. DA* 16-50/2.8 or FA Ltd 31/1.8 for around $700 each...which would i rather have? both have pros and cons. i like primes but the weather sealing of the DA* would be amazing.

i have a feeling you prefer zooms...so how about this. get an 18-55 for now, sell the 28-300 and go for the 70-200 all in one swipe. you can always sell the 18-55 later and pick up the 17-40.

those are my opinions on the matter, at least...

finch13

Reaction score
No, I'm not getting rid of the 50, I use that lens too much, it was just pissing me off way to much for what I was trying to do. I was in a valley and the sun was setting quick so I had switched between all three lenses in under 3 minutes or so.

I really don't know what I'm going to do, I don't have the money right now, but it is on the horizon...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
ahhh

well its good to have a plan lined up. hopefully youre not like me who has plans for down the road then doesnt follow em :skurred:

depending on the size of the inheritance i should be receiving, i might buy something a little more expensive like that 16-50 or maybe an older 400/4.5...well see :Smoker:

finch13

Reaction score
I never make plans... they always get ruined somehow in the end.

They both cost nearly the same, I might as well get the 17-40 for $700 or whatever and just hunt hi and low for a used 70-200, but spend al ittle extra an look for the 2.8 or an IS version.

Back