picking new tires

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
hey guys i have absolutely no knowledge about tires so i need some help picking them out. i went through tirerack and started reading reviews from there and other forum as well but i am still indecisive. i am just look for tires under 400 and so far i came up with:

Kumho Solus KH16
Yokohama AVID H4S
Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid (heard the previous version was rated #1)
Toyo Proxes 4

off topic: should i switch to 06 si rims? my brother has them and doesn't use it.

nexTOme

Reaction score
im not too sure what you're looking to get out for new set of tires.....

but these might help you.....

i assume you already know how to read tire sizes......
next thing id look for is traction, temperature, speed rating....

traction and temperature rating is rated from maximum -> AA > A > B so and so forth....AA provide best traction or can stand heat best......

now here's speed rating chart and explanation on what it is taken from discount tire....

"A tire receives its speed rating by the U.S. Government through meeting minimum standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. What does that mean to you? Well, in general, a higher speed rating will result in better car handling.

Q- Up to 100mph
R- Up to 106mph
S- Up to 112mph
T- Up to 118mph
U- Up to 124mph
H- Up to 130mph
V- Up to 149mph
W- Up to 168mph
Y- Up to 186mph
Z- 149mph and over"

hope these helps :D

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
im not too sure what you're looking to get out for new set of tires.....

but these might help you.....

i assume you already know how to read tire sizes......
next thing id look for is traction, temperature, speed rating....

traction and temperature rating is rated from maximum -> AA > A > B so and so forth....AA provide best traction or can stand heat best......

now here's speed rating chart and explanation on what it is taken from discount tire....

"A tire receives its speed rating by the U.S. Government through meeting minimum standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. What does that mean to you? Well, in general, a higher speed rating will result in better car handling.

Q- Up to 100mph
R- Up to 106mph
S- Up to 112mph
T- Up to 118mph
U- Up to 124mph
H- Up to 130mph
V- Up to 149mph
W- Up to 168mph
Y- Up to 186mph
Z- 149mph and over"

hope these helps :D

thanks for the information. i actually take back what i said about not having any knowledge, i do understand some basic tire stuff but i don't know which tires to go with since there are so many brands. Just need some tires for spirit driving and commuting to and back from school, not necessary looking for performance tires.

Back