Polshing compounds

SpEeD LuNaTiKz

Reaction score
Hey guys I was trying to find out about using a polishing compound after you have just painted your lips. I was mainly trying to find out if you use it before or after you spray the clear coat. I search on the fourm but only came up with things for detialing polishes. Any help would be a great help. Thanks.

Millz

Reaction score
all the things i've painted i've used polishing compounds after the clearcoat...

not sure if that's the "correct" way of doing it

after the base coat i also use a very fine sandpaper to wet-sand before applying the clear, i usually use 900, 1200, and 1400 grit paper to do this, if the surface is already nice and smooth i only do 1200 and 1400

i've only done smaller things though nothing as big as a lip not sure how long it would take to wet-sand it

are you using a spray can or no?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
you never touch sand paper on basecoat.

spray your 3coats of base and then 3 coats of clear...then use 1500g wet or dry to get any trash out,then go back over it with 2000G WET.

Then using a orbital buffer,you need to compound it first to get the color back,then polish..

check out my DIY thread.(i painted the car,but same thing,just smaller for lips.)
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192467&highlight=$150+paint

SpEeD LuNaTiKz

Reaction score
Thanks yea I am just using a spray paint that another member used on his silver lip, I did wet sand on the lip and then I'm going to primer then my coats and then front what it sounds like I should do my clear and then i have some 2000 I was going to wet sand with and then do the polishing compond, the wet sand on the lip did take to long I thought it would but it went pretty quick. Thanks for the imput.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
i prefer 3M perfect it-3000 compound and polish...but i went to walmart and thats all they had..but it works..just ehh..ha

SpEeD LuNaTiKz

Reaction score
Do I need to use and electirc one when doing the polishing or could I just do it by hand? I will have to check and see if they have that 3m at the store I know they have turtle ones.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
since its a lip kit,by hand wouldnt kill ya..but itl take alot longer..ha

SpEeD LuNaTiKz

Reaction score
K thanks for all the info man, weathers been holding me up since it went from nice to maybe snow but should be done by the end of this weekend. Will defently have a bunch of pics. An one last question if I do do it by hand what kind of cloth should I use micro-fiber? or something else. Thanks again.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
sorry for late reply..
but yes go ahead and use a micro-fiber cloth..one for compound and one for polish.
itl give you a decent finish,but might leave slight surface scratches just from the cloth..see thats another advantage of the buffer..its faster,and its foam so it dosnt scratch it. but its real easy so mess sumthn up if you never used a buffer before.ha

Back