Power steering hose leak - V6

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
lol yea If I cant get the Flare nut off the end that goes into the steering box. ill be applying heat to it and see if that gets me anywhere...its just not enough room for any leverage.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Torch + p/s fluid = (possible) fire

Also was a fire fighter. Dirt or hose should work nice, check the wires if you get one. Bucket =no.

Try one of these, I have this in 3/8 & 1/2 too (and 3/8 "impact" sockets to 22mm, 1/2 to 42, 3/4 to 2", random to 5"+).

post-snaponswivel.jpg

pyromonkey721

Reaction score
i ended up cutting the pipe off at the nut, then took the driver side wheel off then got it off with a 14mm deep socket:peace:

Varnell

Reaction score
I'll be tackling this project soon as smoke is pouring out of my engine bay from a leaking power steering hose. I found this video:

Still not looking forward to it.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Posting this here too...
Tackled the dreaded power steering line this weekend.
Got this “Evan-Fischer EVA41072040888 Power Steering Hose” off amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DK99FU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00). It had the best reviews and it was just under 50 bucks.

I was worried at first from reading about how much of a PITA it was but with an extra pair of hands here and there it was a breeze! Less than 45 min from jacking it up to dropping it for a test drive. It was insanely simple.

There is one bolt that I was worried about for clearance but I used a couple of extensions and a U-joint, got it from the top of the engine bay. The rest was straight forward no fitment issues, no leaks. Mine was leaking about a resiviour a week! Now after two days of driving, not a drop. I can park in my driveway now!

Didn’t do a vid or any pics but I can tell you what tools you would need I guess:

- 14mm crows foot (to remove the line from the rack) - seriously invest in a full set preferably with a flare nut end rather than open box end. I got a full set from the local parts store for 12 bucks w/ flare nut ends.
- 3/8 U-joint
- 3/8 ratchet
- A couple of longish extensions
- 10mm socket and box wrench (ratcheting preferred)
- Adjustable wrench and 17mm wrench for the pressure switch
- Quart of power steering fluid (you probably won’t need it all, I used a bottle and a half of the small ones)
- Oil catch/drip pan
- Gloves

Back