Powersteering Leak

Rsuave24

Reaction score
Car- 2000 Accord V6 Sedan

Problem- I have a leak somewhere near the fluid reservoir and there is power steering everywhere under the hood, non of the hoses were disconnected and the cap for my power steering reservoir was on there but it seams as though it may have leaked from there somehow...

Solutions?
do the v6 power steering belt run off an independent belt (doesn't control any other thing)? I really don't have time to look over the leak until the weekend but if the belt is independent, can I just take it off to stop the flow of PS fluid so I don't make anymore of a mess?

Rsuave24

Reaction score
dammit, do you know if it runs of an independent belt that can be removed from the pump to stop the flow of fluid?

Darianjr1

Reaction score
The Accord's serpentine belt is a single main drive belt running the alternator, air conditioner compressor and possibly other accessories.
Link

Rsuave24

Reaction score
problem solved, I cut the belt. To answer the question...YES THE POWER STEERING BELT IS INDEPENDENT from all other components such as A/C and ALTERNATOR.

Darianjr1

Reaction score
Well sorry for the bad link. Lol. And I heard its not good to keep running the car like that though. Something about you may dry out the PS rack.

Rsuave24

Reaction score
Well my main reason for cutting it was because it was leaking all over the place. all the advisors and mechanics at my work (honda) told me it would be fine with really no negative reprocussions except for the fact that it is hard to steer lol if i run anything ill be sure to let you guys know.

Darianjr1

Reaction score
mines was leaking too. Thats why I asked and heard it was bad to do that cause the ps rack will dry out., if you ever decide to go back and put the belt back on. But yes let me know I might do this as well lol.

Rsuave24

Reaction score
Yeah I couldn't deal with the leak and whine anymore, I plan to replace it when i have the means to, but I can honestly say I like the feel of not having it, it drives so true with the suspension and cambered wheels, if I had a Nardi or Personal it would feel even better!

cl206

Reaction score
to Rsauve, you said leak and whine so maybe there is air in ur system and is it possible the leak was near the intake to the pump? Check that. If it is, you probably just need a new o ring. Also, if you have air in ur system, the pump is pushing the fluid into ur reservoir but it can't circulate it back into the pump and as a result, the fluid is collecting and overflowing thru the red cap. Could this latter be ur problem? If so, air is getting into ur system and my guess is it is the first case.

BTW how will you get the belt back on just for future reference? That's really what I wanted to know lol

Back