Preload adjustment on new coilovers

Omega83

Reaction score
Okay, I just got F2 type 1 coilovers and I was wondering if there is a way to check the preload.

I know they come preloaded and have a specific spring rate but I was wondering if it is possible that the perches that hold the bottom of the springs could have shifted durring shipping etc...

I just want to make sure I only have to mess with this install once. As it is, It's gonna be hard finding time to do the install.

Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

NASOHC

Reaction score
Okay, I just got F2 type 1 coilovers and I was wondering if there is a way to check the preload.

I know they come preloaded and have a specific spring rate but I was wondering if it is possible that the perches that hold the bottom of the springs could have shifted durring shipping etc...

I just want to make sure I only have to mess with this install once. As it is, It's gonna be hard finding time to do the install.

Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Not likely at all those moved unless they're hand loose. ALWAYS: Double check!!!

You can have 1/4-3/4" of pre-load so go ahead and adjust before install. If spring measures 8" in height without pre-load, it should measure 7.5-7.25 once lower collar is tightened. I always recommend an extra 1/4" due to break in - there has been times when they come loose (clunk noise) after break-in and you have to go back and re-adjust pre-load.

Enjoy!

BTW: Search forum next time - it's been covered I don't know... at least 7-10 times.

Omega83

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Should I be able to rotate the spring by hand or should it be tight? I noticed that with a moderate amount of force, I can get the spring to move a bit.

Sorry... I've worked on everything on my car but suspension... I'm learning.

BTW... Ordered these two weeks ago and just saw your group buy today. Wish I would have seen it sooner!

Omega83

Reaction score
BTW: Search forum next time - it's been covered I don't know... at least 7-10 times.

Yeah... I did search for about an hour and a half and couldn't find what I was looking for.
The search bar never really does locate what I type into it... Maybe I'm doin it wrong! Doubt it though... seems pretty idiot proof.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Should I be able to rotate the spring by hand or should it be tight? I noticed that with a moderate amount of force, I can get the spring to move a bit.

Sorry... I've worked on everything on my car but suspension... I'm learning.

BTW... Ordered these two weeks ago and just saw your group buy today. Wish I would have seen it sooner!

Just go with what Ken said above and you'll be fine. If you're worried that they have moved in shipping then...
-Loosen the perches
-Measure the spring height when free/uncompressed. Lets say this is 8"
-Tighten the perches to the point where the spring is compressed 1/4-3/4" (make it 1/2" minimum to give in for spring break in). So hence if before it was 8" now it'd be 7.5"
-Measure all four to make sure they're all the same
-Be happy and put them on car.

As for being able to rotate the spring by hand, i think that would depend from person to person. Someone who's physically stronger will be able to do what one who is not can't. As long as you followed Ken's steps above you'll be good.

Last edited:
Back