Prelude Manual Trans Upgrade

99F23VTech

Reaction score
You'll want to swap both main and counter-shaft 5th gears into the M2S4. The trick is you'll have to mill down the F23's 5th gear set to the same thickness as the H23's 5th.

Since you'll have some down time, you can just pull the gear from your tranny to get the measurement, then reassemble it with the F's 5th gear set. Hope this explains it well enough. Let me know if you have any more questions. :)

What is your cruising speed and rpms with this particular setup?

AFAccord

Reaction score
What is your cruising speed and rpms with this particular setup?

It would have the same cruising RPM as 5th gear in a F23 5 speed. 60 mph @ ~2100rpm

Nope, cause the FD in the H trans is shorter than the F trans. It's just a little shorter overall than a stock F trans/5th gear.

60mph = 2400rpm vs 2300rpm stock or 2800rpm with H23 5th
70mph = 2800rpm vs 2650rpm stock or 3300rpm with H23 5th
80mph = 3200rpm vs 3000rpm stock or 3800rpm with H23 5th

AFAccord

Reaction score
Here's what's going into the M trans in the coming weeks along with 5th gear from F series.

http://www.wavetrac.net

Local trans. builder in SoCal is doing all the work for a very reasonable cost. Incl. rebuilding trans. as well, obviously.

Here's some info I found on the Quaife/Wavetrac issue Ken. I'm still not sure why Shahid's had a sticker with both company's names on it...

autotech designed and manufactured the wavetrac differential. if memory serves me right, autotech was the north american distributor for quaife. I inquired about it a while back and i would definitly check out http://www.autotechdriveline.com. The diff looks quiet impressive.

It seems like they are making a preloaded Torsen design with friction plates and a preload spring. Unlike the ITR and Quaife units, these may suffer wear effects due to the tunable friction plates, which may require a periodic rebuild.

I'd be interested to see how they do with zero traction on one wheel, which is the Achilles heel of normal helical LSDs.

appearantly it was not really quaife that had such a kickass warantee it was autotech that had the warantee all along.

if you go to autotech's site they break it down for you. it has replacable friction plates but is built very similar to a quaife as far as the gears are concerned. check out their website @ autotechdriveline.com

5spd'r

Reaction score
:rwerd:
my h22 tranny rpm is at about 3.5 @ 75 mph ish... 4@ 80 ish.

That's not too bad,looks like your tires are probably taller than stock which will have some effect. How about speed in 1st and 2nd gear? My '91 wagon is definetly geared lower than my '00 EX, I'm hoping a prelude trans will bring the '00 to life, feels kinda un-responsive even though it's dead even in a drag with the '91

NASOHC

Reaction score
^ AFaccord - for a lifetime warranty, heck I'll buy. BTW: I'm trying out for the sponsorship, hope I score! :boink:

Fuzz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do the M2S4 already have an LSD Built in?

I am contemplating doing the H23 Tranny Swap with the F Series 5th gear also.

Is there anything crazy involved with doing the swap, or just a matter of taking the gears off the shafts, switching them and placing them back on. I haven't done any tranny work, but I've done a few engine rebuilds so I am confident on working with the internals.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Was there any USDM Prelude Tranny that came with a Stock LSD.

I really don't want to have to deal with the A-holes at the Jap Shops. They freaking want 1200$ for a LSD Tranny. I can buy a Tranny Non-LSD from a scrap yard for 300$.

Back