problem with hid kit?

nathan007

Reaction score
Hello fellas!

first off; 2001 accord ex, with drl (canadian model).

I just got a hid kit for dirt cheap (work in an autopart..i never really wanted one but hey i had to try it out!)

First thing; holy f*ck! the 9006 socket-type bulbs are so badly made. They are loose in the headlight assembly. I measured the normal bulbs and the diameter of the socket it 30mm. The replacement; both around 28.. WTF!?

Next, plugged everything for a quick test, and it all works fine. One issue tough, and this is why i need some imput; With the low beam shut off (lights off or parking lights only), and i turn on the high beams, the low beams light up, aswell as the high beams. With the low beams turned on, the high beams will work normally without interfering with the low.

The way it is wired; Kit comes with two bulbs and connectors, two ballasts, a wiring harness with relay, ground, fused +, and plugs/connectors. You wire everything together, and use ONE connector to connect to one your original low beam connectors on the car. Everything works fine and act as it should, except when i turn on the high beams without the low beams on..

Now, what could be the culprit? I tried to recreate the same issue with the original halogens, and no issues there... :wtf1:

Macsrule15

Reaction score
normal on the 6ga does the same thing with stock bulbs all 4 bulbs come on even when the headlights are off so i wouldnt recommend flashing your highs alot so you dont burn up your hid's and also you say your canadian accord has DRL? that can also kill a set of hid's i recommend pulling the DRL fuze unless you really like having DRL

good luck!

jdmcg3

Reaction score
a little confused with the question..

but the problem you are having with the 9006 sizing.. is most likely due to you got some ebay HIDS. i had the same problem with my first set.. i just put some duck tape on there to hold them in place.

then with the low beams coming on when trying to just turn on the high beams.. mine does the exact same.. really it kinda makes since why they do that.. it gives my lighting with both on since there post to be Hi beams. i always thought thats just how the car was programmed to work.

dont know if this helps. but i dont really see a problem.

nathan007

Reaction score
it was mostly a rant about the bulb size issue.. For the low beams lighting up while using the high beams, i never realised it before! Just didnt want to risk killing the hid bulbs when i go on a high beam flashing frenzy (asshole drivers everywhere..)

As for the DRL, my 9005 are normal halogens so i have no issues keeping it!

Thanks guys for the imput!

Macsrule15

Reaction score
DRL are for the high beams? that is odd....

i had the same problem with my 9006 hid's and i guarantee they were not cheap ebay ones they were sylvania and still didnt fit i had a few O-rings that fir around the bulbs and made them snug and waterproof

Back