Prokit, H&R sports, Koni sport

drey

Reaction score
There were a few forum threads on different springs, in particular the prokit and h&r sports but didn't find the answer I was looking for. To begin, I currently have koni sports yellow shocks on full soft (2 months old) with h&r sports springs 1.5/1.2. For the most part, on the highways and decent paved roads, the setup I have is pretty comfortable. It's only in the area where I recently moved to, the roads are pretty bad with lots of cracks and uneven roads and the performance aspect of the setup is felt or shown.
I'm getting to that age (close to 30) where I still prefer a decent stance of 1-2 finger gap between the fender and tires and still having a comfortable ride overall.
Initially I thought the h&r sports wouldn't be too bad but having moved to an area where the roads have not been repaved for what looks like centuries, but the bumps and cracks are getting to me.

I have read reviews from different forums and it appears from a few individuals, they believe/state that the prokit is less stiff or harsh than the h&r sports but there's no actual numbers to make a case nor did they say they had experienced both springs. I don't want to disappoint myself by buying a set of prokits (used) and finding out that I wasted my time and money.

If the answer I'm looking for isn't convincing, I will probably just put in my stock springs and say goodnight - if you get my drift.
I should mention that I haven't got an alignment yet, reason being wanted to make sure the spring rates of the h&r's weren't too stiff. I'm not sure if that would cause a problem but I could be wrong.

I found pictures of both springs online, it looks that the h&r's were designed to be stiffer, and the prokit designed to be close to oem in comfort.

This is sort of my last resort by posting to help me make a decision or clarify anything that I'm not aware of as I'm not the expert in suspensions. Looking forward to your opinions, thanks!

I wouldn't mind also if someone could explain to me what the shocks do and what the springs do. I think I already know but the reason I'm asking is because some bumps on the road, they look as if they're going to be really bad and they weren't and other times the cracks that look harmless are an absolute killer for my back when I ride over them.
Springs have a fixed height, the shorter the spring and the more compressed they are provides the needed performance and less body roll. softer the shock, it absorbs harsher road conditions to provide better comfort. the firmer they are, it just provides better performance. am i close?

h&r sports:
t5k8pt.png

prokit:
ea1us7.jpg

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
Re: Suspension Q - aftermarket spring rates

if you want exact spring rates your best bet is to call the companies. i've called eibach before and they were really nice and gave me all the technical information i asked for. struts are dampeners so they're there to basically keep your springs from constantly isolating.

blackcord

Reaction score

Those H&R and Eibach will NOT give you a 1-2 finger gap and it will probably give closer to a 2-3 finger gap still.

You may also want to consider Tein S. I think it gives around 2.1F and 1.9R drop. Spring rate is on Tein's website, and Teins are generally known for "close to OEM" ride quality.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

if you want exact spring rates your best bet is to call the companies. i've called eibach before and they were really nice and gave me all the technical information i asked for. struts are dampeners so they're there to basically keep your springs from constantly isolating.

Agreed. I've looked for spring rates lots of times on the site but never really find them. I would call Eibach and H&R, get the rates, then compare.

Those H&R and Eibach will NOT give you a 1-2 finger gap and it will probably give closer to a 2-3 finger gap still.

I don't know about H&R, but I have 2 finger gaps all around with Pro Kits on my V6 2dr.

And Drey, considering Teins may be a good idea, I believe them and Eibach are suppose to provide closest to OEM ride.

Can someone riding on H&R's chime in?

drey

Reaction score

I called both companies. Eibach was nice to provide the springs rates to me. However, H&R said they don't release this information. That doesn't help.

I have considered Teins. I've been searching local forums and craigslist for used springs but nothing so far after about a months time.

I think it depends on the Accord itself. The H&R sports I have gives me a 2.5 finger gap in the front and 2 in the rear.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

Also depends on whether you move the adjustable perches.

kn0x47

Reaction score

I called both companies. Eibach was nice to provide the springs rates to me. However, H&R said they don't release this information. That doesn't help.

what?! there's no reason not to tell you the spring rate sense that determines the ride harshness. did you tell them you own a set? OT, but if a company wont tell me technical information like that then i'd never buy from them. thatd be like selling an engine but not telling the customer how much power it puts out
/rant

hopefully someone will chime in that has ridden on both springs to help you out

SneakyPete

Reaction score

I am running on tein s.techs, and i have exactly 1 and 1\2 finger gap all the way around. I honestly don't feel any difference in the ride from stock. Other than the stance change, to me it just like stock on my V6 coupe.

trudat25

Reaction score

I am running on tein s.techs, and i have exactly 1 and 1\2 finger gap all the way around. I honestly don't feel any difference in the ride from stock. Other than the stance change, to me it just like stock on my V6 coupe.

What type of shocks are u using with ur tiens? Do you think they would work good with tokico blues?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

What type of shocks are u using with ur tiens? Do you think they would work good with tokico blues?

Please don't threadjack, send a message to a member if you have a question for them.

Back