Pulleys Q&A, be serious

klee

Reaction score
The ever famous controversial issue. I have to say I am a bit partial for companies such as AEM although I have heard arguments from both the driver and the company. Frankly, it makes no sense for a company to R&D and produce a part that would cause harmonic imbalance. It's bad marketing and just bad exposure for the company. I've seen two Accords (both I4 6th gens), and spoke to both drivers and neither have reported any issues past 30K-40K miles.

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
yeah i've heard a lot of bad things on the surface, but then if you actually ASK PEOPLE WHO OWN THEM, they tell you none of the issues are true, at least not all of them. the ONLY problem i heard was don't run lots of electronics (i.e. subs and amps and a/c) while you are in idle because you are running less power in your alternator. for me, that's not an issue, i rarely use my a/c and i have no system, cept for the sony speakers i replaced over the stock.

so i guess, since that's been covered. let me ask..
AEM vs. UR?
aem does NOT have an crank while UR does.
why and what's the ups and downs?
so far, it seems fairly even, but c'mon UR is BASICALLY charing 150 more for ONE more pulley.

clevengercm

Reaction score
I have the AEM accessory pulleys coming in the mail, should be here soon..I have a small alpine 4 way amp going to my rears and components up front. Is the pulleys an easy install?

angelplus

Reaction score
from what I heard, it takes bout a day, but ask any of the guys that have them.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The AEM's are larger in diameter and perhaps a tad lighter.
The UR's are same diameter but weigh considerably less. Summit Racing here had a UR crank pulley on their discount shelf a couple months ago, I picked it up to look at it and just from holding it in my hand it probably wieghed about a pound. Stock pullies weigh considerably more, especially the crank.

Also, at Summit Racing's show "Super Summit" last year I personally asked a rep from UR if the rumors about their pulley's causing crank problems were true, he assured me they weren't unless it was due to error during install.

On a side note, Fluidampr sells the only lightened crank pulley out there that will fit the F-series and H-series engines that has a harmonic balancer on it. However, you cant run PS with it b/c its meant for racing I believe.

theaccordian

Reaction score
Ok. so lets recap. Theyres no problems, they look cool, but most imprtantly know one felt any real gains. So whats the point?

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
i wouldn't say no one felt any gains. people are telling me they are quicker, not necessarily faster. also, the point is having fun in working on your car. the beauty of the thing is, it's your car, do as you like. i'm asking for opinions before i do anything.
so as far as gains, quicker acceleration, if done properly and with other mods.
the point => fun and knowledge.

Back