Pumping Gas

nsjames

Reaction score
In the cars fuel line or the gas pump?

Ive been pumping gas with this car for over 5 years and the issue seem to flare up between October through March. Very noticeable when the temperatures range from -20 F to 35 F degrees. I suppose it could be a mere coincidence.

In the filler neck, which is the big rubber hose that connects where you put the nozzle in and the gas tank. It could also be a tank venting issue.
It is odd that it seems to hapen with the temperature change. Colder temps would make the rubber lines constrict a little bit, so it could be a rubber vent line that get's blocked, or it could be a hose that stops sealing on it's metal fitting.

Really the only way you're diagnosing this is probably dropping the tank and inspecting the filler neck, and all of the Evap/vent hoses/fitting on the top of the tank.

CRV_33

Reaction score
I dont have to pump my own gas

haha where do you guys live that offer full service gas station attendant?

Based on what ive read, i'd say go to a local full service gas station and see if they have trouble doing it. usually they set the pump on high speed and walk away to help another customer, then come back when the tank is full, or if you tell them like $20 they'll stand there and do it. If they can't seem to get it right, I'd go to a shop, if they do it fine with no problems, you need to work on your winter gas filling skills

Wouldnt this affect other customers that are pumping gas?

In the filler neck, which is the big rubber hose that connects where you put the nozzle in and the gas tank. It could also be a tank venting issue.
It is odd that it seems to hapen with the temperature change. Colder temps would make the rubber lines constrict a little bit, so it could be a rubber vent line that get's blocked, or it could be a hose that stops sealing on it's metal fitting.

Really the only way you're diagnosing this is probably dropping the tank and inspecting the filler neck, and all of the Evap/vent hoses/fitting on the top of the tank.

Thats actually what im wondering...do you think there is a internal ventitlation system issue? Maybe like the FPR?

metrick1235

Reaction score
you have a few options of what could be going on... 1. you maybe fluctuating air pressure in your tank. 2. Most gas stations these days have special filters on their pumps to keep from getting water in peoples tanks and having to repair their vehicle (the filters are freaking expensive FYI) this filter will inturn click the pump off while the filter removes the water, 3. if the gas pump is newer than 1997ish.. the pump will have whats called a break away at the top.. if its loose it can leak air in the hose while its pumping, which will click it the pump off... Thats my info from a Gas station attendant side.. (seeing as i work at two) as far as your car side i cant help you there..but i will say it pisses alot of people off... Oh and for every dumb *** out there.. if you pull up to a pump and it has two nozzles.. check to make sure you put the correct one in your car..so you dont accidentally put Diesel in your Gas car... (you would not believe how many people do this...then try and blame the gas station) :squintfinger:

Back