Quastion for all the PS3 owners out there.

ib042129

Reaction score
People who own a playstation 3.
Do any of you use it as a media player, not just for games?
I mean do you use it to play DivX and H.264 movies?
And more specifically, does anyone use it to play music and
movie files over the network from another PC.

Basically I am looking for options to play HD movies at home.
To build a dedicated PC to do that, I would estimate to cost me
500-600 dollars minimum. So if networking with the PS3 is
fairly straight forward, I think it would be a cheaper and better option.

hancockd

SLO CG2
Reaction score
i use mine to play divx movies... but i just throw what ever i want to watch on a usb drive and play it from there.... i have used it many times to play music from my computer but the sound quality is not as great as it could be.... could just be that winamp remote sucks.... i dont know..lol i havent really checked out any of the settings

truonghthe

Reaction score
Yes you can share file on your computer and they could be your back up PC also when your PC fail you can use your PS3 to go to the internet and thing like that, oh btw I had seen people in Japan running it on window XP lol (I am not sure how it work but do your search on youtube). While at it I better get my PS3 back tomorrow after a long trip to TX.

v6indodarknight

Reaction score
PS3 is a good thing... very good thing... too bad I got rid of it cus I don't have time anymore... + I wanna get the 80gig cus mine was 40gig

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I personally don't, only because i don't watch movies. It's really easy to network though. My little bro uses his for everything though, music, movies, browsing the net. Once i get my apartment (living with the rents for way too long, hopefully this month), i'm sure it will become the main part of my "entertainment" studio. Possibly the only part besides the TV/speakers, it does everything you need.

If you just want it for games, i'd wait as the price will inevitably come down. There are cool games but note enough to keep you going (or me atleast) right now. But it goes far beyond that and if you are like me and don't own a DVD player, could use another computer for browsing, etc, i think it's more than worth the money. Sounds like it's going to do what you want and more for cheaper so i say go for it. I'm just speaking mostly from my little bro's experience though, keep in mind it's word of mouth.

CHID0

Reaction score
I use mine for movies, not really music. If you download alot of movies it might be worth it to build a media server.
My sister uses a portable HD to store and watch movies from.

jonblizz

Reaction score
i have used t-Versity and the nero media center that comes with the latter version 7 and current 8. i think Nero is easier to get running , but after u get T-versity configured and actually streaming media its way better . Honestly tho u could just install a bigger HD and just store things on it and skip all that

ib042129

Reaction score
i have used t-Versity and the nero media center that comes with the latter version 7 and current 8. i think Nero is easier to get running , but after u get T-versity configured and actually streaming media its way better . Honestly tho u could just install a bigger HD and just store things on it and skip all that

The thing is. I store things on my server.

So you have to stream? You can't jsut open a file on a network drive like
you would using a PC?
(\\computername\shareddrive\file.avi)

jonblizz

Reaction score
as far as i know streaming is the easiest and probably most efficient way , its not the only way. i know that the ps3 file structure is prety specific . u could buy an external drive or usb jump drive and set it up using the ps3 file stucture and its something like Ps3-> media-> Music or something like that and store your media on and use their file structure. Maybe u could run a long *** Cat 5 cable through your house and then create that file structure on your pc aand store your media on their ...
All that seems like overkill just get t-versity (Free) or the Nero Software (Free if you know how to get it if not torrents are our best friend ) and set it up and run it on your wireless network . No wires, no money spent and no sweat.

Last edited:
Back